Friday, March 11, 2011

What’s on My Reading List?


As children we were told by our parents  that we must read books, in the hope that reading would increase our knowledge and  improve our language and keep us busy for hours on end. This often gave parents  the much needed breathing space as their children were immersed in the world of words. As we grew up, our teachers, both in school and college constantly urged us to read, so  that our vocabulary, grammar, language and knowledge increased.

 When we took up the writing profession we voluntarily turned readers. Reading for us is one of the  most pleasurable activities. It’s our passion that is second to our first passion: writing.  I can say this with conviction,  that for most of us writers we can disappear in a bookshop or a library for hours. By reading we get acquainted with diverse cultures and traditions, get familiar with places we have not visited or haven’t even heard of, hear about professions unknown to us, and meet people we would not have met in real life.

In this post I will share what is on my current reading list.

1.       Heck Where the Bad Kids Go by Dale E. Basye ( Finished Reading )

2.       A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L’ Engle (Finished Reading)

3.       Diary of a Wimpy Kid  by Jeff Kinney (Finished Reading)

4.        Bartimaeus - The Ring Of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud (Currently Reading)

5.       The Last Song of Dusk by Siddharth Dhanvant  Shanghvi (Was on my TBR 
  List for a long time)

6.        Lessons in Forgetting by Anita Nair

7.        The Children’s Homer by Padraic Colum

8.        Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief  by Rick Riordan

          These are the books which will keep me busy this month. What about you all? What is on your reading list? Please share the list with us. We all would love to know what’s keeping you engrossed.








18 comments:

  1. just finished reading The Hobbit by JKK Tolkien, great book and you've got nice posts anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, great list! Hope you enjoy them!

    I just finished "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" and now I'm reading "The View from Saturday" both by E.L. Konigsburg. Next up is "The Westing Game" by Ellen Raskin. Those are three books I can't remember ever having read when I was a child, shame on me! So I'm catching up now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your list! My TBR list is slightly shorter than my wish list. Seems there's always something good to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading Hold me Closer, Necromancer. It's been on my list a while. I'm a very slow reader. My TBR list is enormous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For starters, I have far too many books that I've started reading and can't seem to finish. I've got to chase down another in the Wimpy Kid series, but I've started Mad Cows by Kathy Lette - hilarious stuff.

    I do wish I had more time for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the entire Percy Jackson series with my nephew and found it great fun. I love Greek mythology and Riordan found interesting ways to make it relevant to American culture.

    That's a cool list you've got there, I anticipate that you'll be busy for quite a while with it.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great List. You will be busy for a month atleast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great list Rachna! I just finished the Life of PI. It was fascinating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this post!

    After a trip to Waterstones and an Amazon, these are on my radar for the next month:

    I Am Four by Pittacus Lore
    Touched By An Alien by Gini Koch
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebbeca Skoot
    The Female Man by Joanna Russ
    Grass by Sheri S. Tepper

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi friends...I am enjoying reading everyone's list. This is just my immediate To Be Read list of books. The entire list has nearly forty books in it. I hope to slowly make heavy inroads into that huge pile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm reading The Princess Bride by William Goldman, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. I really should read one book at a time though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm busy reading Oliver Twist. TBR: The rest of The Once and Future King by TH White, The Great Gatsby, Anna Kerenina and Emma.

    Then I've got the modern books. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just finished reading Messenger by Lois Lowry, and I'm going to start Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.

    Good luck to you with finishing off your list! And, since I always enjoy your posts, I gave you an award over at my blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list, Rachna. I love YA!!!
    Right now I've been reading Christian fiction like crazy! Having lots of fun posting my thoughts on some really great books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list, Rachna. I'm reading everything from picture books to the GRIM AND GRIMMER series. The author will be on my blog the 28th. I'm going to do a give away of the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just finished a lovely 400-page novel today and am not sure which of the 14 books in my stack to pick up! Pictures of You by Caroline Leavitt, The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown, You're Not You by MIchelle Wildgen or Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet.... That's only a few in the pile. Decisions! Decisions! But exciting ones!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great list, Rachna. I loved A Wrinkle in Time and Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. Right now, The Children's Homer is my next "to read". And I must say, Heck Where the Bad Kids Go sounds like an intriguing book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this list, so I've printed it out. Haven't read any of them. Always going to read A Wrinkle in Time. Right now I'm reading W. Somerset Maugham. I read Of Human Bondage when I was 19; I want to read it again, at age 70, and see how it feels. I'm reading The Painted Veil (that was made into a movie) and am re-discovering what an awesome writer he is. Great dialogue. And his knowledge of how a woman feels (it's through her viewpoint) is stunning. You might like to try it.

    ReplyDelete