If there were ten commandments for a writer, what do you all think they would be? I have compiled a small list. According to me a writer’s ten commandments would be:
1. Thou shall not covet thy neighbour’s or another writer's character/story/book/agent.
2. Thou shall only worship one God: thy muse.Thou should love and respect it.
3. Thou shall consider one’s writing time holy and sacred and not spoil it with
distractions that come in the form of Facebook, Twitter and Cell phones.
4. Thou shall honour one’s Characters and Plot.
5. Thou shall believe in Revisions, Revisions and more Revisions.
6. Thou shall adopt atleast two Crit Partners before unleashing one’s book on
the unsuspecting readers.
7. Thou shall avoid clichés and stereotypes.
8. Thou shall love thy Manuscript and believe in it inspite of the rejections
9. Thou shall not try to kill thy readers with boredom. Thou shall come up with
original plots and characters that will interest readers.
10. Thou shall not curse agents or wish them evil in case of rejections.
What are your writing/writer commandments? Any new commandment you would like to share with us? Is there any commandment that you have ignored. I have been guilty of ignoring all the commandments at some time or the other. Please share your writing sins with us.