Friday, August 16, 2013

Surprise, Shock and Spook

Today we will discuss books from the point of readers as readers are an important part of the process of writing. Books are written only for them. We were readers, long before we plunged into the world of writing.

Readers love the 3 S’s. Surprised. Shocked. Spooked.

Sudden surprises in the story that makes them shake their heads in amazement.

Swift shocks that renders them into a state of momentary silence.

Steady spooks that turn them into a mass of quivering jelly.

The element of surprise works wonders for the readership of books. The strange twists and turns the plot takes keeps readers glued to the book. New revelations of the  main character, new entrants that propel the plot forward, the unceremonious exits of old characters, stubborn obstacles that crop up, hook the readers big time. By constantly surprising readers in every chapter the book starts to become a page turner. Let’s flash back to Harry Potter. Mrs Figg turning out to be a squib was just one of the many pleasant surprises  the readers enjoyed! Frequent surprises sweep away the boredom that tends to creep in. It brings a certain freshness, like the opening of a window that dissipates the musty air.

Though in our personal lives there is no room for shock: we actually detest it, but when we read, shock appeals. We love it when our favourite authors  shock us, when dirty  character  secrets are revealed slowly, chapter by chapter. Book by book. When skeletons tumble out thick and fast from locked cupboards.  When the underbelly of a character is exposed. A case being J.K.Rowling. Every Potter book had plenty of the 3 S’s thrown in. I could never have guessed that Snape had been secretly in love with Lily ( Harry Potter’s mother). I am sure that none of us actually imagined Snape being in love with anyone! Albus Dumbledore’s tumultuous past too was a bolt from the blue. For me he was a paragon of virtue. And that he could have a chink in his armour was a major shock.

Another emotion we love in our books is being Spooked. This works more in favour of thrillers, suspense and murder mysteries. The spook factor intensifies the movement of the plot, increases the pace, heart beats accelerate, nails are chewed as we enter into the thicket of  fear.  Harry’s connection with Voldemort  because of the scar on his head was a tad spooky. Anything that raises our anxiety, heightens our tension has us hooked emotionally to that object.  What will happen next? Will the main character escape, will he/she be saved?? Who will emerge victorious? Will the world be saved? Questions that peck at our mind with the persistence of a woodpecker need their answers, which only the turn of a page will provide.

 When the three S’s join together in a book, that has oodles of style, as well as a strong storyline, the reader is frantically racing over the lines. It’s getting quite alliterative: surprise, shock, spook, style and story.

 Which element appeals to you the most? As a reader.



25 comments:

  1. Each of the 3S as analysed by you Rachna, add to the reading pleasure and thrill! They certainly add to the pace of the story and make the reader turn pages faster:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 3s, I like that. Some excellent points to remember too. We must keep our readers interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all three, but I adore when a shock is worked in in such a way that I should have seen it coming, but didn't. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmn...the 3 magical S's...I shall remember it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like learning. I would be very thankful of a book, if I ended up learning something(s) new. That's why I read more non-fiction these days.

    I read fiction occasionally, and that's more to relax. Fiction has now officially substituted by rare movie watching sessions - Thankfully.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought of it as the 3 S's. But you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like style and store, but I'm more of a literary buff. The 3 S's are great additions though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to remember the three S's. I think I like surprise the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suppose I like the surprise element. I love it when I am taken aback by something I didn't see coming. I love book endings when I think, "Oh!" and then, "Of course!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right! The 3 Ss are so important. I loved the examples from HP- because each one of them did surprise me. I also was spooked a lot throughout each of the books. JK often kept me with my mouth hanging open and the desire to read on and discuss what I had just read! :)

    Great post!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent way of putting it, Rachna. Yes I was just thinking about how much people lap up crime and thriller fiction and yet in reality we all detest the very thought of such things.
    WE also enjoy pleasant shocks that make us laugh. Tickling is a physical manifestation of this, too, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you nailed it. And made it sound so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like surprises in twists and turns of character and plot that further that fuller picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo, the 3 S's are a delight for readers. It's fun to write, too!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  15. These three are great! But I also LOVE chemistry between characters. Since you have mentioned HP, this is the perfect example. Although I enjoyed the INTRIGUE in the HP books the main factor which sold me was the chemistry between Harry, Ron, and Hermione... That clinched it for me.

    Great chemistry between characters brings the story to LIFE. It needs to be believable FIRST before all the other aspects of the book.

    Have a great weekend Rachna!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Surprise is the necessary one, I think, the only one of the three which could provide a staple diet for me. The other two can come and go in various sized doses.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The unexpected is certainly an important part of storytelling, whether it's a sudden shock or a creeping sense of things not being how they're supposed to be. Great post.

    mood

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like all 3. I can't pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the twists I don't see from a mile away, but fit in perfectly with the characters and story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post! I'd have to say twists. When a character you think you have pegged reveals something you didn't see coming is my favorite thing. It's also my favorite part of life. When someone surprises me by doing something unexpected or I learn something new about them that changes my perception forever is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I probably like surprise the best. Thanks for the breakdown!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the 3S's... spook being the least of the three though lol

    Great post and I love how you refer to Harry Potter, a girl after my own heart ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love books that have the 3 S's. Harry Potter definitely had all three (although I saw Snape's interest in Harry's mother but not all that with Dumbledore).

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the totally unexpected twists/turns within the context of a good suspense/thriller story!!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey,

    Thanks for this thought-provoking post :)

    I'm working on WIP#2 and need to keep reminding myself to "Save The Cat" and keep the "beats" coming :)

    The 3 Rs are spot on :)

    ReplyDelete