Friday, July 25, 2014

Making good progress

My current WIP which I have titled Scavage is progressing well.  All the research that I am doing online on dogs is throwing up several scenes in my mind. Initially, I was apprehensive about writing a book about dogs, that too street dogs. I am very scared of dogs. I thought I just could not do justice to this story.

But, as I ploughed through an outline, then did some research, my doubts were assuaged. I felt I could tackle this story. I did a brief outline and started writing the story. I feel better when I actually start the first draft. Unlike some writers, I don’t spend too much time outlining.

Two days back while writing a few scenes, I discovered two strong emotional hooks for my story. I have always felt that strong emotional hooks in a story make wonderful reader connections. I personally (as a reader) connect well with stories where the emotional layers and hooks are strong.

I have introduced 3 new characters. And believe it or not, the three small pups refuse to leave my mind space. I am constantly thinking about them. I am wondering where were they all this time.

How is your writing going? Which stage of writing are you all in? How much time do you spend outlining?


P.S. The idea for this book dropped into my mind when I was visiting Gary’s blog. A picture of his dog Penny threw this shiny new idea into my mind.

19 comments:

  1. Nice ideas, Rachna! Am sure you will write a lovely story around this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The premise is interesting. I want to read this book :)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you won't be as scared of dogs when you're finished?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is neat how unique things inspire writers. This is actually a good time for my writing--things will get super busy starter later next month so I try to take advantage of now.

    Have a good weekend Rachna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Among all the animals, dogs have the most strong connect with people -- and it's a very emotional connect. I am sure your book will be worth reading... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rahul, thanks. Working hard on this book to get dog facts and dog voice right.

    Destination Infinity, hope you will get to read the book soon.

    Alex, I hope so. Maybe I will fall in love with dogs after writing this book.

    Slamdunk, yep, we writers can get inspired anywhere and everywhere.

    Pradeep, I too have heard of dogs' strong emotional connect with people, especially their masters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww Penny was the inspiration, how cool! :D

    Glad you found those emotional hooks, they really do make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that dogs are the animal we have the greatest bond with. Should be interesting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Rachna,

    SO happy to hear you have a new book on the horizon. Sounds like you have an EXCELLENT start....

    For me, still querying my second novel. Nothing yet, but I keep plugging along. I have new intro featured at my blog, so that was fun to write. I need to get back to my Noir novella, but the research and time is to great for me now. Life is taxing, but I'm managing..

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rachna,

    Penny is sensing and I'm sensing that getting immersed into your latest writing project has brought you closer to understanding the lessons of unconditional love dogs share with us. You are challenging your fear and we are very pleased.

    On behalf of Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar, we wish you happy writing.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post as always Rachna. Yes strong emotional hooks are so important and with them characterisation. The characters make the emotions come to life. If you don't feel anything for them the book or film is a flop in my opinion. Good luck with you dog novel. Sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You never know where good ideas will come from, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you are doing wonderfully well, Rachna :)

    I generally take my time with outlining so it can take me up to two months.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a dog person, so I will really want to read this book!

    I used to be purely a panster, but on my current WIP I did an outline first, although a flexible one, and then I've been revising it as I go along. I think this may be my new approach from not on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the best for the cute book, Rachna! Off-topic, but I thought I’d inform you that your picture book was in my daughter’s list of Scholastic books for purchase so I told her my friend has written it and immediately sent off the order. She’s eagerly waiting for it in the mail now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All the best for the cute book, Rachna! Off-topic, but I thought I’d inform you that your picture book was in my daughter’s list of Scholastic books for purchase so I told her my friend has written it and immediately sent off the order. She’s eagerly waiting for it in the mail now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww...doggies! That pretty much describes the process, although I don't outline.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds promising:) Don't fear dogs...they're cute, especially as puppies:)As far as fiction goes, I love Jack London's books about dogs and wolves.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great thing to be inspired by bloggers and their posts. Penny's adorable. I'm glad you have plenty of ideas going.

    ReplyDelete