Friday, March 27, 2015

Interview with Samantha Fountain Mother of WriterPitch and AgentMatch

Today, I have an interview with Writer Samantha Fountain, mother/creator of WriterPitch and AgentMatch on Twitter. The WriterPitch site is fast becoming an Agent-Writer match-making site. Read on to know more about Samantha and her site.

Tell us a little about yourself? 
I grew up in a small midwest town out in the country, so cows and manure speaks of home to me :) My parents have been married for 43 years and I have one younger brother. My best friend is my four-year-old son, Wallace!

 Tell us something about your books? 
I like to write gritty, dark YA. I don’t feel stuck in that genre though and feel excited to expand out of my comfort zone. 

What are you working on now? 
I’m working on the sequel to THE DARK INTRUDER which is about a psychic teen that reveals a hometown tragedy by connecting to the missing. I like to compare it as THE LOVELY BONES meets IF I STAY.

Please share with us a writing tip that has helped you or a writing craft book.
I really enjoyed— On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King. As far as a writing tip goes my biggest thing is that even if I feel I have nothing to write I push myself to sit down and try to squeak out a few words. I almost always have more to say than I thought!

What is WriterPitch?
WriterPitch is an online community that my brother, a web developer, helped me create after the success of AgentMatch on my blog. Our hope is this will be the place for writers to make industry friends, grow and possibly find representation. WriterPitch is expanding daily into becoming so much more than I expected. There’s so much this community offers all within one site. 

What made you start it? 
AgentMatch was a blast and I really didn’t want the party to stop. There is nothing like writers and the way they all reach out to support each other. WriterPitch is a tool that helps connect everyone.

Was it difficult to get agents to join WriterPitch?
The agents that are joining WriterPitch love this type of social tool, so they were eager to expand how they find clients. I always expected this wouldn’t be for every agent or every writer for that matter, so the agents that don’t want to join typically won’t because they like to stick to their own inbox.

More and more agents and writers are joining WriterPitch every day. How do you keep track of things on WriterPitch?
It’s a lot of work, but so worth it. My brother and I make a good team and we have a fairly good system going. WriterPitch is expanding and changing as we grow, so the system does change sporadically. 

How did AgentMatch on Twitter happen?
I dreamed up AgentMatch because Valentine’s Day was on the horizon and I thought, ‘Hey, what about a day for Agents and Writers to find love?” And then I made it happen ;)

Any WriterPitch or AgentMatch success story you want to share? 
There have been some. I’m still working on success story blog entries for my website, but I do have one up at the moment. Here’s the link - AgentMatch Success Story

How do you manage your writing, handling WriterPitch, as well as AgentMatch?
I don’t know,  lol! I have my four-year-old as well and he’s busy! I wouldn’t change anything though. I love my crazy, beautiful schedule. I do drink LOTS of coffee.

Author Bio 
Samantha Fountain is a young adult author who focuses most of her energy on the paranormal genre. That’s not to say there isn’t an insane amount of horror, romance, and suspense thrown in for good measure. Her debut novel is a fast paced paranormal tentatively titled, THE DARK INTRUDER. The sequel to The Dark Intruder will be complete late 2014. The final installment to the Charlotte Kane Trilogy is scheduled for 2015. Also keep an eye out for her twisted, edgy, suspense with a vengeful heroine in the works for 2016. Samantha’s full time job is most enjoyable. She spends her days with her four-year-old, Wallace. Nap and bedtime are Samantha’s allotted time to write…to create worlds both beautiful and mysterious. FYI, Samantha thinks whipped cream should be a table condiment. 

Samantha's Blog
Samantha on Twitter
Samantha on Facebook
WriterPitch

If you all have any questions for Samantha, you can ask her in the comments section.




25 comments:

  1. Useful info. Why don't you also interview an agent/editor - we'd like to know their perspective, and what they expect in a manuscript.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great interview! I'm so thrilled to hear about Samantha's writing, inspirations, and tips. And her AgentMatch and WriterPitch sound like incredible opportunities! I'm bookmarking this page so I don't forget when (if) I'm finally ready to query in the late summer. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. I didn't know about either of Samantha's sites. They sound fantastic. Thanks for sharing about them. And thanks, Samantha, for all the work to make them a success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! It's amazing that you've started WriterPitch, and you write, and you have a four-year-old. I think I could only handle one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for interviewing Samantha, Rachna. I hadn't heard of either Agent Match or Writer Pitch, so this is interesting and intriguing. I'd like to help spread the word. (Samantha, if you'd like to do a guest post for my blog in the latter part of May, just email me at patriciastoltey (at) yahoo (dot) com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the interview today, Rachna. Sounds like you are a busy lady, Samantha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool she started it with her brother! Will have to add it to the IWSG site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People using this site, beware fake agents!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have no fake agents. There's a mixture of popular well known and new, but not fake.

      Delete
  9. Hi, Rachna,

    WriterPitch and AgentMatch sound like wonderful tools for writers. Wishing Samantha continued success with both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Rachna for hosting Samantha Fountain. This is a very timely post and I'm off to check out WriterPitch and AgentMatch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WriterPitch sounds like an interesting concept. Heading over to check it out. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds excellent. More ways to open lines of communication between writers and agents is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rachna, thanks for the intro to Samantha! Enjoyed the interview and getting to know more about Samantha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WriterPitch and AgentMatch are both fabulous ideas! It's great that you and your brother are working together to provide these wonderful resources! Thanks for hosting Samantha, Rachna!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a blast while doing it. There's nothing like the writer community!

      Delete
  15. I am going to visit Samantha's site right now. What a wonderful thing to do for the writing community.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a cool idea:) Definitely heading over to her site now:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a busy lady! WriterPitch and AgentMatch sound like really good ideas. I'll go visit the site and learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These sites are new to me, but they sound great. Love how it all came together. Samantha sounds like she has lots of postitive energy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the idea of AgentMatch. That's the perfect way for agents to find great new clients.

    ReplyDelete