Wednesday, March 2, 2016

IWSG Post – Fear of being judged for what I write

Two months of 2016 have flown past. It’s once again time for our monthly IWSG post. IWSG is the place we writers hang around online, sharing our writing insecurities, anxieties, worries, clearing our doubts and learning from each other. As all the writers are at different stages of their publishing journey, there is a wealth of information on the IWSG website.

Ninja Captain Alex JCavanaugh (author of the Amazon Bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars), started this awesome group. Trust me when I say this, it’s a pleasure being a part of Super A’s (as I have secretly nicknamed Alex) group. We are all trying to learn from his generosity, and hope to emulate him by being helpful, warm and concerned like him.

This month my writing insecurity is being judged by what I write. Honestly, it’s has become one of my biggest fears. I have started wondering what people think of the things I write. This new obsession has started while I am reading a book by an Indian author whose female character is obsessed by men’s anatomy (I’m not going to elaborate, I hope you all get the hint). Though these passages are funny, I keep wondering what made the writer write them. Is the writer like that in real life? Does she discuss all this with her female friends. I have even formed an image of the writer’s personality and nature in my mind. I keep thinking she must be having a kinky personality to write the way she has written.

This has made me wonder whether readers and other writers judge us by the stories we write, by our raunchy descriptions and scenes? Do you all make assumptions about a writer’s personality or judge their nature when you read their books? Do you worry about being judged by your kinky writing (if you ever write those scenes.)


19 comments:

  1. I think you should be okay if you're not writing like that author you mentioned. Most people admire writers (or think the job is easy. Ha!) Hope you can get over your obsession with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't write kinky but I do write MG so I guess that means I haven't grown up yet:-) Let your writing be as good as it can be and readers will love your writing style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Rachna!
    We hear our work is separate, but I do think it's a reflection of us. That's why I write clean. My books represent me and I want that representation to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I write the stories that want to be told, the way only I can write them. I also try to be the best "me" I can be in general, in life. Most of what happens after that is not in my control. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, then, we should all fear horror writers! Oh course, we take some of our own thoughts and interests, but we also use those of our friends, neighbors, acquaintances, and wild imaginations. They might judge you, but it doesn't matter. Your real friends know what kind of person you are on the inside.

    Mary at Play off the Page

    IWSG co-host. Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They may judge us but I think that's part of story telling. There's always a little of myself in each other my books. Everyone judges everyone, so really it's inevitable. But it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure readers judge writers, but that can be good as well as bad. You can develop an audience who understand and enjoy what you write. If there are those who don't get it, there are plenty of other books in the sea (and readers too). Just write what you love, and enjoy yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've already had that happen - although not because of a kinky scene - and it's part of why I try to expand my writing horizons by writing from different character viewpoints. I don't want to allow the statement "now that I've read one of your books, I know how you think" to put me in a corner.
    I'm with Lexa - write what you love and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to really get nervous at the thought of someone reading my work because it was so close to my heart. My writing made me vulnerable. But it gets easier over time, the more you share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Generally the writing is a reflection of persona to some extent but sometimes one may be grossly indulgent to explore new vistas:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. At first I was laughing a little thinking about the writer you mentioned and whether she was "raunchy" in her real life and then I remembered that my favorite stories are tragedies, so what would someone think about me from that? I never thought about it from that perspective. I hope people don't think I am a miserable person in real life LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I worried about that a lot when I let one of my characters use a lot of bad language in my last book. I was worried most about my mom, age 96+, but she said it didn't bother her at all. Big sigh of relief there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we all get judged, and do some judging ourselves. We're human. Hopefully you get over this obsession and just write. Perhaps it will get you to write something out of the box just to see what fan mail you get back, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've also been wondering this, and I think this fear is accurate since I've seen people wondering about me in reviews, blog posts, and even love/hate mail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes this insecurity does hit me, but then I remind myself that what people think of me is actually not any of my business. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  16. While I admit to the same fear, I think my greater fear is not being judged at all. Better to at least get out there and be controversial than not at all:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've the same fear since I judge the writers by their works :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Rachna! It's been forever! I've just recently returned to the blogging world, and wanted to pop in to say hello :)

    You know.. I am terrified of people reading my work! Writing is such a personal endeavor, and a real insight into certain aspects of your mind... even if it's all make believe. Hopefully when the time comes, I'll be more at peace with it... but people will judge regardless. We can't let them get to us :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Gods, I hope folks don't end up trying to dissect my psyche when they read the stuff I write. Actually, yes I do, because that will mean that they've gotten their hands on it, which will mean that I'll have published something. It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose. Here's to giving folks something to judge! Cheers, and happy writing to you. :)

    ReplyDelete