Wednesday, July 5, 2017

IWSG Post -The Valuable Lesson I have Learnt in Writing

I am really glad that I joined IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group), an online writers group posting on the first Wednesday of every month. After joining IWSG and reading other writers’ posts I realized that I am not alone with so many writing related fears and anxieties swamping my mind. IWSG Writers who have been in my position have helped me out with their suggestions and advice.

Founded by Ninja Captain Alex J Cavanaugh (author of the Amazon Bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars) IWSG is going from strength to strength. It has published a couple of anthologies, has an amazing website and has now been featured in Writer’s Digest 19 Annual 101 Best Webites for Writers and it will have its first twitter pitch contest on 27th July.

For today’s IWSG hop Ninja Captain Alex’s army consists of Tamara Narayan, Pat Hatt, Patricia Lynne, Juneta Key and Doreen McGettigan.

The July IWSG question : What is one Valuable lesson you have learned since you started writing?

Though I have learnt a lot of lessons ever since I started writing, the one valuable lesson I have learnt is to believe in my writing. As writers if we don’t believe in our work, no one else will. We have to constantly motivate ourselves and boost our morale, because the road to publishing is an uneven road paved with many obstacles, each of them will lower our self-confidence and push us closer to frustration and despair. Lots of things in the publishing world are not in our control, the only thing in our hands is our writing and for that we must keep writing, inspite of the rejections. We must trust the fact that God wanted us to write for a reason, and we can’t just give it up so easily.

I’m looking forward to reading all the IWSG posts and seeing what was the most valuable lesson you all have learned ever since you started writing.





20 comments:

  1. Very true! If we don't believe in it, no one else will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you're right about believing in ourselves and continuing to write. And these are the two things we can control in our lives as writers. So important to focus on those things we can control in an uncontrollable world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And when we believe in our writing, it shows. Our confidence can really boost our content. I had to come to grips with this several years ago. Here's to a productive month with less roadblocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We absolutely have to believe in ourselves! And you're right about focusing on what we can control - our writing, our craft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That confidence part is so hard for me! I think these lessons need to be re-learned. Sometimes daily!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachna,
    I loved this. It's definitely hard to keep belief motivated some days :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. All we can control is our attitude and that includes our attitude toward our writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It takes a lot of self-discipline to spend so much time on something when the outcomes are so unpredictable, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Believing in our writing and ourselves can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Self-doubt is a number 1 enemy! So true.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too believe my writing talent is a gift from God. I don't want to waste it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Rachna,

    I learned many things, But the most important is determination. This journey is not for the light hearted and for almost all of us it take years of fine tuning our work and reading as much as we can. How else will we learn? Keeping an open mind and heart as we trudge along the rocky trail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it. I also think we should be constantly examining our writing and making sure that it is as it ought to be and that it is constantly improving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If we can't not write, then there's definitely a higher power leading the way. I feel that the most when I get in the writing zone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We believe in your writing too:) Looking forward to reading more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Learning is a never ending process is my lesson :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting post, Rachna, like you, life throws all sorts of difficulties, I am now career for my disabled husband, but good to be back to blogging.

    ReplyDelete

  18. Nice And Very useful info,
    This article important and really good the for me is.Keep it up and thanks to the writer.Amazing write-up,Great article. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete