Friday, August 18, 2017

The Sacrifices We Make As Writers

The other day I was thinking that unlike some of my friends I neither watch too much television or movies nor do I spend too much time gossiping on the phone. The reason is I would rather spend that much time on reading books.

Many people tell me that nowadays the calls are so cheap, infact with the Internet packs we subscribe to, the calls are free, so why am I not calling them up? My reply more often than not is, “the calls are free but I am not.” My reply I’m sure must be rubbing people the wrong way.

Most people don’t get it that a writer’s life is seldom easy. There are so many things we do that are a part of writing: researching the characters (both the protagonist and the antagonist) and their hobbies and traits, plotting, writing the multiple drafts, critiquing someone else work, revisions, researching agents and publishers, agonizing over the query letter and the dreaded synopsis, that our lives are far from easy or simple.

Though we may not have a day job, but our writing is definitely more than a nine-to-five-job. Infact I would say it’s a twenty-four hour job, our characters are constantly running around in our minds and the erratic muse loves to play hide and seek, so whenever the muse appears the writer is busy writing to make the most of the inspiration.

Where does all this leave me the time to waste my hours in gossiping or watching serials or movies? I would rather polish my craft by critiquing my critique partners’ books or learning from other writers by reading their books.

What about you all? What kind of sacrifices you have made as a writer?


14 comments:

  1. I still enjoy binge-watching TV shows and movies, but I rarely gossip. I'd much rather talk with people about writing and books and whatever someone is really excited and passionate about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I find I cannot retain what's going on from page to page when I read anymore. My short term memory is shot. I did enjoy writing when I did it. I ate it, dreamed it, and lived it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't make too many sacrifices, except having a shiny clean house and good home-cooked meals. My husband groans a little about the meals but he does understand. I watch television in the evening while my novel characters are busy working out their next moves, and I meet a friend or two for coffee or lunch a couple times a month. And I also read a lot...although it's hard to focus on a good book when our own characters are rehearsing in our heads for the next scene we'll put on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you. I get tired of my friends/family thinking I am not busy when I'm writing, critiquing, editing, sitting on the internet researching. Actually writing is the easy part; getting all the details believable and finding a paying home for the finished product is the hardest part. And often most un-rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it the truth? I thought when I retired my 'time issues' were over, but I'm still not getting as much done as I thought I would. Though it's truly a blessing to be able to write full time instead of evenings and weekends;)
    Have a pleasant, productive day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I do have a day job, I often sacrifice time that, previously, was spent playing video games. While I'll still do it sometimes, it's almost always story based games now (along with reading or very specific movies/shows).

    At the end of the day, I acknowledge where my inspiration comes from and make time for it. But I also have to make time to USE that inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Writing is a serious work and takes a lot of time and yes I too consider talking too much on phone and watching TV as a waste of time:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't watch as many movies or TV shows as I used to, for sure. Mind you, I do think there can be inspiration to be gleaned there too, as long as it's not something that's total trash. Everything helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's the same for me. People tend to think I'm not doing much because I'm a writer, but that's total nonsense.

    In fact, I've recently had to make myself a 9 to 5 rule because I burn myself out too easily by spending 16 hours a day working.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still love to binge watch TV shows and movies, but I've given up a lot of that time to focus my energy on my studies and writing.


    www.ficklemillennial.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a 24-hour job! Because most of my book ideas come from dreams. ;) I do binge watch TV shows and watch movies, but I usually can write while I do that, but I don't talk on the phone. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol, I like those pics:) I try to get as much hands on experience as possible, growing things, going places, etc., but at a certain point there's too much to do and we simply have to make some things up:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our characters remain in our heads FOREVER. I'm constantly "writing" in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You made quite a leap in your categories! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete