Wednesday, December 6, 2017

IWSG Post – If you backtrack 2017 what would you do differently

2017 has flown by in the blink of an eye. I still remember the first IWSG post of the year and now it’s the last. IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) is one of the best things to happen to writers all over the world. Why is it the best thing? Because believe it or not, writers are very insecure creatures. We think other writers write way better than us, create wonderful settings, etch characters that leave our own characters way behind in the literary stakes.

Inshort we writers lug around a truckload of anxieties, insecurities, doubts and fears. And if Ninja Captain Alex J Cavanaugh (author of the Amazon Bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars) and founder of this awesome group did not give us this wonderful opportunity to let off our writing steam, we all would go mad under the onslaught of our worries. Adorable Ninja Captain concerned about our mental and emotional well-being quickly formed this group to take care of his tribe. IWSG has a wonderful website with a whole lot of writing related information.

And under Captain Alex’s capable leadership writers roam around blogosphere with large smiles on their faces as they have given vent to their writing related frustrations via an IWSG post.

December 6th IWSG question: As you look back on 2017, with all its successes/failures, if you could backtrack, what would you do differently?

If I could do anything differently I would wipe out the few months of this year wherein I wasted time doing nothing. Yes, I suffered from a heavy bout of writing lethargy and indulged in procrastination with my stories. Due to those few months I’m way behind my writing and reading goals for 2017. But, I learnt a very important lesson, that I must manage my time wisely on a daily basis, else I’ll end up as a bundle of frustration and anxiety due to not having achieved my daily writing goals and weekly reading goals. 

I’m eager and curious to read all your posts.




21 comments:

  1. Just popping in to wish you a very happy wintertime, Rachna xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that you didn't make your goals. I wish I wrote more but I was too busy. I wish I wasn't but 2018 doesn't look any better. I'm going to read the IWSG book on being a weekend writer and see if that helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time management is something I struggle with, too. I want to be productive but not overdo it, not burn out. Still working on finding that balance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's easy to fall into a pattern of not writing. Trust me! Tackle next year with gusto.
    Adorable? My wife will get a kick out of that one! Thanks, Rachna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had an entire summer of writing lethargy. But last month kick stared my butt in gear again. Let's crash that truckload of anxieties!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time management gets the best of all of us I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes we do need a break for things, but it's no fun when you want to write and yet waste the time away. Here's to a better 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What you would do differently is what I'd do differently. I also had many months, especially at the start of the year, where I did nothing because of depression.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, the time management! If I could conquer that, I could surely take over the world!

    I hope you have a fabulous 2018 & that it lasts longer than a minute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of us are saying the same thing--we wish we used our time better. Good thing 2018 is coming so we can do better. Wishing you & your family a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello and nice to meet you. As someone new to IWSG, it is great to join this group. Your post was sweet and delightful. I hope we do less procrastinating in 2018. I think it's a malady that's plagued us all (yes, me included), judging from all the posts I've been reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had something like writer's block for a few months. It took hard work and stubbornness to break free of it.

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need a magical eraser so I can get back all my procrastination months, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One word 'Procrastination' is a silent killer !

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems we all have periods of not writing, or not writing much - maybe it's unavoidable?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I'd change anything WRITING related, but I imagine I'd drop some cash on Bitcoin? haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. I take life as it comes, trusting in God and leaving him to write my stories. Blessings and love.
    If you are on FB, please join my group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1678137929148460/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, it sounds like you learned a good lesson. It can be hard when we are feeling lethargic. Glad you are out of that bout now. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry you didn't make your goals. On the other hand, I think sometimes we writers need to waste some time. I'll be you were thinking about your characters, etc., even when you weren't writing. Sometimes after a spell of "idling the motor," when you come back to a work you find that a lot of things have been resolved and it flows more smoothly than you expected. Lots of luck, though, on meeting your new goals.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I deleted the "second" comment, because it was really a repost of the first. I didn't realize the first had gone through. :-(

    ReplyDelete