Wednesday, February 7, 2018

IWSG Post - What do I love the most about the genre I write in?


It’s time for another IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) post. IWSG is an online community of writers who post on the first Wednesday of the month. Our posts hover around our writing-related issues. Writers from all over the world who are at different stages of their writing journeys encourage and support us with their suggestions and advice.

Ninja Captain Alex J Cavanaugh (author of the Amazon Bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars) started this wonderful group.
In a short span of time, under Superhero Alex’s leadership, IWSG has become a force to reckon with. The IWSG newsletter keeps the members updated, the IWSG website is full of information on writing and publishing, IWSG has also published several anthologies and has hosted two Twitter pitch contests.  

Our awesome co-hosts for the February 7th posting of IWSG are Stephen Tremp, Pat Garcia, Angela Woolridge, Victoria Marie Lees and Madeline Mora -Summonte

February 7 question – What do you love about the genre you write in most often?

As I write Middle Grade Fantasy, I love the fact that I can do extensive world building. I love creating a make-believe world and putting a whole lot of magical creatures and places in it. For my first MG book, I had gone berserk, I had created many magical creatures who lived in that place, even the food that the characters ate was intrinsic to that place and had come about after extensive thought and planning. Perhaps that is the reason I love the genre of fantasy so much, as it gives me the freedom to go wild.

I look forward to reading all your posts and seeing what you all love the most about the genres you write in.

17 comments:

  1. I love both MG and YA fantasy too. My first book which is in the drawer has way too many new foods, words, and spells. I'd have to do a major revision of all that if I ever wanted to do anything with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is so much fun! We get to make things up and create new life, so to speak. And the middle-grade audience is the best in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you focused so much on the food! It can really add to the story - makes me think of Butterbeer from Harry Potter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That means you are obviously very good at world building! While it's a struggle for me, I do like the many options fantasy and science fiction provide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Middle grade is the perfect age for fantasy. Add a little real history to it and it's exactly what DLP is looking for right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seconded! I think that's my favorite part about writing for young minds too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fun part of creating a magical world is filling it up with creatures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish there had been more fantasy to read when I was a Middle grade student. Even my own children had to search for stuff as their school libraries didn't carry enough for voracious readers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you world-build. Sounds like a lot of creative thinking and researching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fantasy is well. I especially love working with my students at school because that world building is such a blast

    ReplyDelete
  11. It definitely is about the world building even if you don't write fantasy/sci fi. That world where you place your characters is all yours, which is what I love so much about writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kids do love the wild side of authors, lol. Well, adults do too sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Middle Grade Fantasy sounds like a fun genre!
    Happy Writing, Rachna!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love middle grade fantasy! I read it when I was a kid, and I read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't do it myself, but I can see the appeal of creating whole new worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like so much fun! Thank you for sharing.


    www.ficklemillennial.com

    ReplyDelete