Wednesday, April 4, 2018

IWSG Post – When our Writing Life gets Cloudy or Filled with Rain


Another IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) has arrived. All writers who live on Earth know what is IWSG, an online community of writers who post on the first Wednesday of the month. In our posts we discuss all writing-related issues and sometimes we do grumble a bit. Visit the IWSG website, its full of information on writing and publishing.

Ninja Captain Alex J Cavanaugh (author of the Amazon Bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars) came up with this wonderful idea of starting IWSG. In a short span of time, under our resident Superhero Alex’s leadership who is one of the most generous writers I know, IWSG has become a force to reckon with in the writing world. IWSG has a newsletter which keeps the members updated, IWSG has also published several anthologies and has hosted two Twitter pitch contests. 

Psstt…I was contacted by an alien who lives on Pluto, he wanted to know about our Ninja Captain’s secret source of energy, and he also wanted to know how to join IWSG. Help me out as I’m a bit confused, shall I allow him to join?

 April 4th question is : When your writing life is a bit cloudy or filled with rain, what do you do to dig down and keep writing?

When my writing life is a bit cloudy or filled with rain, I almost always take a break, either by reading or tackling my freelance writing assignments. That way though I’m not actively working on my novel, I’m still writing. And reading subconsciously clears the cobwebs in my head. Disappearing into another writer’s world always unravels the knots that come while I’m writing. And taking that small reading break refreshes and energizes me.

I’m looking forward to reading how you all tackle the clouds or rain that hit your writing.

14 comments:

  1. You always make me smile, Rachna.
    Tell the alien if he can get Pluto reinstalled as a planet, he's in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to read a lot when writing gets hard as well. There is something inspiring about that. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading definitely helps me the same way, couldn't agree more:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think jumping into another writer's world can sometimes show me where mine is all messed up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you! Often, I'll jump into a book when I need a break from writing too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taking a break is the only way, I think. (Several bloggers I've visited have said the same thing.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If the alien from Pluto is a writer and he's insecure, I reckon we should give him a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rachna,

    How are you?!

    Since... I have been in a cloud for over two years, lol, I don't have a great answer. BUT... the sun has shone was again and I started a VERY EXCITING new project.... Already wrote the first four chapters and hope to finish the rough in a month. The subject is BEYOND fun... I don't want to tell you here, but PLEASE pop over to my blog when you get a chance...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny about the alien visiting you. Should I be worried? I agree with your ways of getting through rainy days. Although I don't write fiction as much as I'd like, I love writing for my contract job, which I do most days. When I'm blue, it's like comfort food. Helps if I add some coffee and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading a good book always helps. Maybe that alien from Pluto has one already translated into English. One could hope.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do a lot of proof-reading, editing, rewriting and writing. Indeed it does become a lot sometimes. Then, I just don't do any of that. I read, or just go for a walk, or listen to music.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading is an excellent way to refresh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reading is my go-to technique to relieve stress and bring me happiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tend to turn to reading, poetry, or journaling. Just to keep words flowing through my head.

    ReplyDelete