Wednesday, October 2, 2019

My October IWSG Post – Writers and Reading


I have noticed a pattern, every alternate month I forget to write my IWSG post, at the last minute I scramble around, getting it together. For the October IWSG, I prepared this post four days in advance, for this I definitely deserve a pat on my back.

We have reached the 10th post of the year. Two more months to go before 2019 packs up. Most of us have now tapered down our blogging days, restricting it to IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) days. IWSG is a wonderful online group of writers, posting on the first Wednesday of the month. In our IWSG posts we discuss our writing fears and insecurities. IWSG is now a force to reckon with. Browse through the IWSG website for all kinds of information from IWSG Twitter Pitch Contests to lots of publishing related information.

IWSG was started by Super Hero, Ninja Captain, Wonderful Musician, Cyber Rockstar, Online Celebrity, Amazing Writer and Brilliant Blogger – Alex J Cavanaugh (author of Amazon Bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars).

October 2 question - It's been said that the benefits of becoming a writer who does not read is that all your ideas are new and original. Everything you do is an extension of yourself, instead of a mixture of you and another author. On the other hand, how can you expect other people to want your writing, if you don't enjoy reading? What are your thoughts?

I can’t imagine writers not reading. Its not that we writers read to copy other writers (in fact we writers have too many ideas and too little time to work on them)  or get ideas from other writers, reading is just an extension of our writing life. Sorry if I’m offending anybody, but I just don’t understand writers who don’t enjoy reading. I mean how can I expect people to enjoy my books/writing, or to read my books, or to even buy my books, if I personally don’t enjoy reading? And if we don’t have a passion for reading being writers, how can we claim to have a passion for writing?

What about you all?


20 comments:

  1. Well said!
    And good job getting your post ready early this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was only on a recent creative writing course that I realised I’d neglected my reading, and I was hoping to be an author 🤭

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe there are only two more IWSG days left in this year. Where has the time gone?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't agree more! Readers make better writers, hands down. It's like a bread-maker who despises bread. Why do it then? If you don't have a passion for reading then I don't understand how there could be a passion for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. I can’t understand how someone can write and not read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Reading and writing go together, like the old cliche, a horse and carriage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your preplanning! I had intentions of writing it up the day before, but the day ran out, and I fell asleep. I wrote it this morning. Just as musicians listen to music for inspiration, writers read for better skills.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today.
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your pre-scheduled post!
    I love to read, and I think it's necessary to writing, any kind of writing. I have had students who can't read well due to dyslexia, but they can read some and they listen to audiobooks. So, there are some exceptions on how we read, but hearing or reading the pace of a good narrative is important to knowing how to write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree 100%. And I am impressed by your preplanning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree. We can't be passionate about writing without loving reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you say it like that, I'M IN A PANIC! Only two more postings this year!??? I'm way too passionate about books to not read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always find writing a post in advance super helpful!
    I can't imagine a writer who doesn't read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally agree with you, and I believe, after blog hopping, mostly all writer's agree with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you on this. Can't imagine writers not reading but it is an actual thing sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree. I can't imagine developing as a writer if you never read. Reading gives you access to so much wisdom, great thought, and also keeps you aware of all aspects of the craft of writing. And it's important to support other writers out there. How depressing if no one ever read a book and missed the wealth of words and worlds out there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Agreed. Reading is the formal education to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a do it six months in advance kind of girl and I wish I weren't that way. My daughter on the other hand, from high school through her doctorate years, did most of her work on the fly and she aced it all.

    I will be like her when I grow up.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree totally. To love books means to read as well as write them. I don't want to read something by an author who doesn't like them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, everyone needs to read. We're readers first and writers second :)

    ReplyDelete