Wednesday, January 8, 2020

January 2020 IWSG post and How my Writing Journey Started


The first IWSG of 2020 is here. A new year. 12 months of new opportunities and growth. 365 days of writing and reading. 2020 somehow has a nice ring to it.
Insecure Writers Support Group or IWSG is an online group of writers posting on the first Wednesday of the month. Our posts can be on any aspect of our writing, a complain or a celebration, an achievement or an anxiety. But we insecure writers are smart, we often make the IWSG question of the month the focus of our post.

The IWSG website is a wonderful source of information. IWSG has a Twitter Pitch Event coming up on 15th January. Do check the website for more details on how to participate.

IWSG is the brainchild of one of my favourite bloggers - Alex J Cavanaugh, Alex has several bestsellers to his credit: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars and more on the anvil.

January 8 question - What started you on your writing journey? Was it a particular book, movie, story, or series? Was it a teacher/coach/spouse/friend/parent? Did you just "know" suddenly you wanted to write?

I think it was my degree in Journalism and Literature in college that started my writing journey. I also think the seed for my writing dream must have been sown in my childhood, when my grandmother narrated a story while making me eat everyday. My voracious appetite for stories made her run out of new ones, so she would narrate the same story for a week, changing the ending every day.

As for the book, movie, story or series, I want to write them all ;)




17 comments:

  1. I think for most writers, that seed is planted in early childhood when we read or hear stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new ending every day - maybe your grandmother created those Choose Your Own Adventure stories first?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how your grandmother fed you both food AND stories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to study journalist but my father, who was paying my way, insisted I choose a more practical career. I ended up in accounting and business management, only to seriously begin writing after retirement. No regrets, though, because I enjoyed my real world working years and the friends I made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that your grandmother told you stories while you ate. I can imagine you were always wanting more! What a great memory to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's cute that your grandmother changed the ending of the same story every time she told it to you. Very sneaky and smart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome that the seed of your desire to write started with your grandmother telling you stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good stories will find their way, and more so when told by those you love. Good on your grandmother! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a creative grandma! That had to be challenging changing the ending every day, but I'm sure she loved doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your grandmother was really cool! Happy 2020 :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that story about your grandmother!
    Allie
    www.alliebock.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I started writing stories when I was very young. Well, telling stories. I used to entertain my siblings with a story about the Cheerio People - little gnome types that came out in the grocery store at night. Those were some fun summer nights.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a beautiful story of your childhood. My grandmother gifted me an endless supply of paper, notebooks, and pens. She had no idea how that would make me into an artist and a writer someday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck achieving all your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A good story is always inspiring. Glad she passed that love on to you.

    ReplyDelete