Thursday, July 2, 2020

My July IWSG Post and Industry Changes



I can’t believe that I forgot this month’s IWSG post. On 30th June I reminded myself that the next day was IWSG, but when the first Wednesday of the month loomed into view, I completely forgot about the IWSG posting. Blame it on Covid-19 Pandemic.

The cases are increasing in India and my city Bangalore decided that it didn’t want to be left behind. From just a few cases, we are now in a hurry to catch up with other cities. The positive cases have been shooting up from the past few days. This monster is now coming closer and closer to us.

I decided to post, even though it’s a day late.

Now back to IWSG. IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) is an online group of writers, posting on the first Wednesday of every month. As we writers love to discuss and also grumble about our writing and publishing, atleast I do, our IWSG posts usually focus on our writing related issues, worries, fears and doubts. Do visit the IWSG website, its full of informative posts.

IWSG is the brainchild of the creative, talented and brilliant Alex J. Cavanaugh author of several amazon bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars.

July 1 question - There have been many industry changes in the last decade, so what are some changes you would like to see happen in the next decade?

In India the publishers are playing safe by publishing more non-fiction, more books with hooks (partition, disability, history, mythology). Fiction has become a hard-sell here. I would like the publishers to get more adventurous in publishing, try more fiction and play with different genres. I would also like less interference from the marketing and sales teams which currently call the shots, leaving the editors at their mercy. And I also want the publishing process to be much quicker and the royalties and advances to be higher.

Will be hopping over to all your blogs today. Stay safe friends.


12 comments:

  1. That's rough fiction is harder to sell now.
    Sorry your area is spiking. We are in spike number two and one heck of a mess right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex, yes, fiction is a hard sell in India nowadays. Lets hope things change in the future.

      Sadly our cases are spiking big time now.

      Delete
  2. Those are good wishes for the publishing industry!
    COVID is scary and I'm so sad that your city/country's numbers are going up. I hope things settle and turn around soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better a little late than not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachna,
    How are you?
    I was just wondering ... why fiction has become hard to sell now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is scary how far this virus spreads, stay safe and well, Rachna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been there. Done that on forgetting the IWSG date:)
    I'm really surprised to hear fiction is a hard sell. Who'd a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smaller publishers are more likely to be adventurous.

    It continues to circle us, too. Cases here are getting stupid high. Just when it looked like Brazil was going to eclipse us, we surged.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you posted. I missed you yesterday. Our numbers are growing again in Michigan. Too bad fiction isn't selling well in India now. We need good stories to escape into while we remember this crazy scary time will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Publishing is soooo stinking slow. I agree it needs to change!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I would also like less interference from the marketing and sales teams which currently call the shots, leaving the editors at their mercy." This stood out to me but everything you've said speaks to my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Covid-monster is also on the warpath this side of the globe... we've seen our greatest spike over the past few days.
    Changes in publishing grind at a slow pace. We need to just continue with our writing...and hang in there.
    Stay safe, Rachna.

    ReplyDelete