Wednesday, October 7, 2020

October IWSG Post and my definition of a Working Writer


2020 is inching to an end. 2 more IWSG posts before it disappears forever into 2021. I just hope as it goes away, it takes Covid-19 along with it and as 2021 arrives, it brings with it a vaccine.

Having met my deadline, currently I’m enjoying a few days of reading, eating, sleeping and taking it easy, because, within a few days I’ll be starting my new book.

Today is the first Wednesday of the month and it’s time for our monthly IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) post, where we talk about all aspects of writing, our discussions center around our manuscripts, our books, characters, stories, revisions and everything about publishing and marketing our books.

IWSG is online writers’ group, started by the wonderful Alex J Cavanaugh: author, blogger, musician and an amazing person: kind and generous with his time and energy, who loves supporting other writers. Alex is the author of several amazon bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars, with more bestsellers on the way.

Do follow the IWSG website for lots of writing and publishing information.

October 7 question - When you think of the term working writer, what does that look like to you? What do you think it is supposed to look like? Do you see yourself as a working writer or aspiring or hobbyist, and if latter two, what does that look like?

For me the term working writer means a writer whose entire income comes from writing: books or other writing assignments. To me it also means a writer, who writes for a living and doesn't hold any other job. I consider myself a working writer, as all my income comes from writing: books, free-lance assignments for newspapers and magazines. And I make it a point of writing every day. 

What about you all? Do you consider yourself a working writer?

 

 

17 comments:

  1. Good for you! I most definitely am not a working writer. I'm a working reader. LOL. My librarian jobs keep me hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that all your income comes from writing. I don't think that defines who is a working writer though. I think it's people who work at their craft and are at least trying to get published or hoping to someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! You are in a very elite group.
    Congratulations on meeting your deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that when 2020 leaves it takes both COVID and pResident tRump the Lying Liar in Chief along with it.
    Although my sole income does not come from writing, I consider myself a "working writer." Honestly, I'd never thought about it before today.
    Narcissus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on being able to make a living from writing. I agree with Natalie, though, on the definition of a working writer.

    Ronel visiting on IWSG day Revamp Your Backlist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the deadline and supporting yourself as a writer.

    I was hopeful for 2021 but no matter who wins our country's election, I think it's going to get very, very ugly here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I could finish my WIP. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Entire income comes from writing? Yikes! I'm not a working writer then. LOL I don't have another job, but my income doesn't come from writing.

    Big congratulations on meeting your deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wrote in my blog post today about being a working writer, which I was, who got paid. It felt very validating bringing home the bacon. Now, writing fiction is way more fulfilling though I haven't reaped the rewards yet of recently being published.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for making deadlines and for being a full-time writer! Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard working writer refers more to those who freelance with nonfiction articles and the like. Not so much for novelists. But what I've heard could be incorrect. Far from an expert on that term.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds so serene--relaxing, getting your mind into gear before diving into your next project! Sigh...

    ♥.•*¨Elizabeth Mueller¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meeting the deadlines , is not what everyone does:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on meeting your deadline & giving yourself a well-needed break. I agree with you about 2020. Hopefully, life will be better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on making your deadline. Enjoy a well-earned rest. You're definitely a working writer and have done really well at it. Let's hope 2021 brings better things our way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to live your definition of a working writer :)

    ReplyDelete