Wednesday, January 6, 2021

My January IWSG Post and my turn offs in other people’s books

 

Happy New Year Everyone!

2021 has me excited. I hope and pray we have left the worst of Covid behind us. And with the vaccination starting in some parts of the world, things are definitely looking brighter.

I’m excited to see what 2021 has in store for all of us.

Its time for the first IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) post of 2021. IWSG is an online group of writers posting on the first Wednesday of every month and more often than not, our posts are writing related, though many of us have taken the answering the IWSG question route, building our posts around the monthly IWSG question. January 20, will also see the IWSG Twitter pitch contest (#IWSGPit). So, peeps get the pitches ready. Make them sparkle. Do visit the IWSG website for more details about the Twitter Contest.

IWSG was created by Ninja Captain Alex J Cavanaugh. He is the successful author of several amazon bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars, with more bestsellers on the way (I’m sure they are lurking around inside his mind, waiting to emerge.)

The awesome co-hosts for the January 6 posting of the IWSG are Ronel Janse van Vuuren, J Lenni Dorner, Gwen Gardener, Sandra Cox and Louise - Fundy Blue!

January 6 question - Being a writer, when you're reading someone else's work, what stops you from finishing a book/throws you out of the story/frustrates you the most about other people's books?

I really get bugged if a writer has not done justice to the plot, or if there are glaring holes through which I can see the gaping errors in the story. I also dislike inconsistency in both writing (sentence structure and grammar) and the story. As a book reviewer for 2 newspapers, I have had the misfortune of reading several books where I felt that the writers didn’t do justice to the story, or the genre or the characters (made them one-dimensional). And sadly, I had to point it out in my reviews, and I ended up making a few enemies in the process. But my conscience wouldn’t let me lie.

I just hope someone else doesn’t find the same flaws and faults in my story.

What about you all? What frustrates you about other people’s books?

 


16 comments:

  1. As a book reviewer, you have to be honest.
    Here's to a much better 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I'm always so worried that I won't SEE a glaring OOPS in my own stories.
    Being an official reviewer would be tough. I only review books I've enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worry I won't see my errors, too, and I know I make some of the mistakes I don't like reading. Yikes.
    Well, I keep working on it though.
    Way to go with the tough job of reviewing books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The potential for a great story was there but the writer let it fall flat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be hard to be a reviewer but you have to be honest. I have to love the character and feel the plot is moving along at a good pace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can always find errors in other's writings...but my own? It takes an editor to help me out. I would think being a reviewer could be fun reading so many books and getting paid for it, but then there's the part about having to be honest. It's why I never read a friend's manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, plot holes are a no-go for me too. But as a reviewer you had no choice. Happy New Year, Rachna!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being a book reviewer sounds like a dangerous job, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I've been in your shoes when it comes to certain critique partners. I hate to point things out, but they'll thank me later:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year! I'm thinking positive vibes too. I think if you are asked to review a book, you should be honest. Your audience will want you to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ouch. I would hate to have the job of reviewing books for a newspaper and having to be so honest. And you have to be. Plot holes in books, movies and TV shows are so disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have to be honest as a reviewer. People need to trust your reviews and opinions. We can all learn and grow. All best to you in 2021. Hoping Covid and the political strife calm down, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you have integrity to remain truthful to your thoughts when it comes to reviewing books. What a powerful pen you yield, Rachna!

    ♥.•*¨Elizabeth Mueller¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reviewing for a newspaper would be a challenging job.
    Have a Happy-Writing Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great points. A book can have the most intriguing premise in the world but it means nothing if the quality doesn't live up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm hopeful for this coming year as well. :) Hope to read and write more in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete