Wednesday, March 3, 2021

March IWSG Post and my Reading Preference

 


Time is really flying fast. I clearly remember the first day of 2021 and now we are 2 months down. After a lull, Covid-19 is once again rearing its ugly head and spreading its tentacles in India, though the vaccination of health workers and doctors has started.

I’ve been writing a lot, working on a non-fiction book, with a looming deadline. I’ve written 3 picture books in verse in the last 2 months, for a non-poet like me it’s a big achievement.

I was looking forward to the March IWSG, as I wanted to catch up with everyone. IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) is an online group posting on the first Wednesday of the month. Our IWSG posts revolve around writing, most of us build our posts on the IWSG question of the month. Do visit the IWSG website for helpful articles, featuring industry professionals.

IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain Alex J Cavanaugh, author of Amazon Bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars, with many more on the way.

March 3 question - Everyone has a favorite genre or genres to write. But what about your reading preferences? Do you read widely or only within the genre(s) you create stories for? What motivates your reading choice?

The awesome co-hosts for the March 3 posting of the IWSG are Sarah - The Faux Fountain Pen, Jacqui Murray, Chemist Ken, Victoria Marie Lees,  Natalie Aquirre, JQ Rose

I love reading across genres and age groups. Fantasy, sci-fi, dystopian, thrillers, children’s books, motivational books, adult novels, non-fiction, middle-grade, chapter books and picture books, I devour them all. I pick books according to my mood and also books by authors I love reading and word of mouth recommendations. I’m also adventurous in my reading choice, I try reading different genres all the time.


19 comments:

  1. That probably makes you a much better writer.
    I could not write poetry to save my life. Good for you for attempting it in your kids' books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an eclectic reader. A broad variety of books takes me to places I would otherwise never get to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you. I read in a lot of different genres and in MG to adult. That's so awesome that you're writing a lot now. Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a wide reader as well - if it's a good story with intriguing characters, I'm happy. Although if the ending will leave me crushed, it's not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're the same! It sounds like you're on a writing whirlwind. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read like you do, Rachna. Currently I'm reading memoir: Memorial Drive by Natasha Trethewey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading comments today, I think all writers read across the board. Hope you have a wonderful March. Congrats on your picture books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally messed up this month's question on my blog, but I also love reading across genres, even though I especially love sci-fi and fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your wide variety of reading choices. I read widely as well. Stay safe out there, Rachna! We're expecting another Covid surge as well due to the new variations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fellow omnivore! Happy reading in March. Please stay safe ~ I've been hearing about India and Covid on the news. I want to see the whole world vaccinated. Hugs to you, Rachna!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a wonderfully wide reading range. And it sounds like you've been super busy too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on all your writerly accomplishments. That's great! Also good on you for your wide scope of reading.
    May your muse continue to whisper in your ear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire anyone who can write poetry. My father-in-law wrote a lot of stories in verse. Some of it was corny, but we loved it anyway. I hope the pandemic slows down for your country. We went thru a terrible time in west Michigan with covid cases ramping up. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In addition to focusing on your own writing, it's impressive that you are such a prolific reader. Please stay safe and healthy, Rachna.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh, sorry to hear it's back. We had it go through our house after Christmas. Everyone in our family tested positive but two of us. We were told by our doctor to take a walk every day, sleep on our bellies, and take our vitamins. It's scary stuff if it gets into the lungs.

    Stay safe! Fingers crossed it's over soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You sound adventurous in both reading and writing. Congrats on your achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I go through phases with books: At present, the top of my preferences list is mysteries and historical fiction, but ai really like all kinds of books, and I often buy books to support writing friends as well. I'm also into poetry a lot, and I must say, Rachnia, I'm impressed you could write two books in verse for children. I have never attempted that, but you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete