Wednesday, May 5, 2021

My May IWSG Post and Readers’ Reaction to my Books

 

I don’t know about Covid in your countries at this point, but it seems to have caught India in its deadly grip. The cases are rising everywhere, so many people are falling prey to Covid. To break the transmission chain, we are in a 14 day lockdown. The second wave has been really devastating, all around me I’m hearing sad news. The spate of bad news has made me anxious and fearful. I’m unable to concentrate on anything. I just pray to God to get us out of this and keep everyone safe.

And before I realized it, April slipped into May. It’s time for another IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) post. IWSG is an online group of writers posting on the first Wednesday of the month. Our posts are mostly writing related. Do visit the IWSG website for some amazing writing and publishing resources and tips.

IWSG is the brainchild of Ninja Captain Alex J Cavanaugh, author of Amazon Bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars, with several more on the way.

May 5 question - Has any of your readers ever responded to your writing in a way that you didn't expect? If so, did it surprise you?

Yes, I’ve often been surprised by readers’ reaction to my books. Many readers told me that they cried after reading my feature on Father's Day in the newspaper. The feature was a dedication to my father. One middle aged lady after reading my book ‘The Lion Who Wanted To Sing’ told me that she was so motivated by the lion and his passion for singing, that in her forties she started pursuing her dreams, saying that if the lion could do it, so could she. A school principal mentioned my book in her graduation speech to motivate the tenth graders to reach out for their dreams. Both these incidents surprised me. I had no plans of writing an inspirational book, but my singing lion ended up inspiring people. Many people, especially children have told me during school visits, that my book ‘Festival Stories Through The Year’ has inspired them to celebrate festivals in a different way, the way the characters in my books celebrate.

I’m eager to read about what reaction from your readers has surprised you all?

P.S. Please pray for us. We need all your prayers to see us safely out of the pandemic that is now a raging like a tsunami.


21 comments:

  1. I got chills reading about how you've inspired people - wonderful!
    We've heard a little about the situation in India in our news here in Canada. Devastating. Our province is in the middle of a 6-week stay home order as the numbers have risen dramatically. It's terrifying. We need people to realize how serious it is and follow the rules. Take care - sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Rachna. I thought I'd start over. Using your work to inspire students is wonderful. I hope that help curb some of your insecurities.

      Delete
  3. I will continue to pray for you and send this world positive vibes to break out of this cycle.
    Congratulations on being such a huge inspiration to so many! People need it now more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your singing lion is an inspiration!
    Definitely praying for you. So terrible what is happening. You stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. Please take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your singing lion is wonderful and your writing is definitely inspirational!
    I will pray for you as soon as I stop typing, and keep you and your community on my prayer list. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing a second wave of CoVID. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your family and you stay safe during the terrible COVID surge in India. That's so awesome that your writing has inspired others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is wonderful you've inspired so many with your books.

    I check numbers every day and it's scary where India's numbers are at - far worse than we ever were here in the states. Be careful in all you do and we'll pray your country gets through this very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First I'll keep you and India in my thoughts, the world is much smaller than we sometimes realize.
    Second What great reactions people have had to your writing. It has to be very encouraging to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, prayers for you and everyone in India. Second, what sweet responses you got from readers. That's a blessing. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw on the news last week about the surge of new covid cases in India. Prayers for you, your family, and friends. I will be so thankful when this pandemic is nothing but a memory. The responses to your singing lion are wonderful. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful that you've gotten such sweet responses from readers. Inspiring other people is the highest compliment!
    I'm sorry what your country is going through right now. I'll be praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rachna,

    How wonderful to have inspired people of all ages and not just children with your writing!

    I have been praying for India and the world that this pandemic will come to an end quickly. We send you our thoughts, prayers, and love,
    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing you well Rachna! Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry that Covid is raging in India, and hope that you and your family stay safe and healthy. It was so touching to learn the impact your incredible story "The Lion Who Wanted To Sing" has had on people of all ages, and may it continue to inspire others for many years to come.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’m so sorry for the outbreak in India. I hear about it on the news and pray for a positive turn.
    But it was good to read of your pleasant surprises, I hope there are more in your future!
    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete
  17. To have someone say they pursued their dreams after reading something you wrote...that is magical. <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. The news coming out of India is horrific. And now we hear the India variant has entered the UK, so this seems to be a very virulent strain that I hope we can squash as soon as possible.

    It sounds like your stories have touched people's lives in ways you never saw coming. It's fantastic to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you and yours able to survive the Covid wave, and I hope the vaccines will reach you and help soon! I can only imagine what it takes to get 70% of the population of Earth (about 5,508,899,410 people) vaccinated. But they say that's what it will take to end this.

    Keep on writing in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Being an inspiration is a writer's greatest wish, I think. Enjoy! Stay safe and keep inspiring.
    Thank you for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete