Wednesday, September 1, 2021

September IWSG Post and my definition of success as a writer

 


2021 is going by too rapidly. I badly want to grab it and ask it to slow down. But I guess that is the tendency of time, it flies by, taking along with it, weeks, months and years. All too soon September has arrived at our doorstep and brought with it another IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) post. IWSG is an online group of writers posting on the first Wednesday of the month.

Started by Alex J CavanaughIWSG is now a force to reckon with, as is Alex, the author of Amazon Bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars, with many others on the way. Do visit the IWSG website for more information on this amazing group and some writing related posts and also Alex’s blog.

September 1 question - How do you define success as a writer? Is it holding your book in your hand? Having a short story published? Making a certain amount of income from your writing?

The awesome co-hosts for the September 1 posting of the IWSG are Rebecca Douglass, T. Powell Coltrin, Natalie Aguirre, Karen Lynn and  C. Lee McKenzie.

I would define it as all three and add few more. Success as a writer would be having large first print runs (as publishers are certain that the book/s will sell fast and well). Success is getting fat advances (the reason being the same as before). Success is getting amazing book launches (publishers willing to spend money as they are sure of the returns). Success would also be getting amazing displays in bookstores, attending lit fests, doing regular book signing events and getting fabulous reviews from all the readers. (One can dream big right?).

I’m eager to read all your definitions of success as a writer.

 

 

 

20 comments:

  1. A big fat advance would be nice:) Hope you have an awesome month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Alex's definition of success. A big fat advance would be nice, but many of us realistically won't get one. That's okay. We can still be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those things do sound amazing! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all wonderful example of success. But sometimes with the monetary success comes the requirements of dealing with the public and marketing and I'm not so good with that part...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I love the idea of book displays at bookstores. I would love that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of those things would be awesome! And it could happen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One can dream, Rachna, and I do dream! Have a happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your dreams and measures. I wish you to live them and would love to live a few of those myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful dreams! Right now I'm content with small successes, like finishing a chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I say dream as BIG as you want. It doesn't cost a thing. But you'd be surprised how many people just can't let go and dream.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do dream big. LOL Wouldn't hitting any one of those be reason to celebrate! One step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want all of that! But even if I don't get it, I think I'm better off because I wrote, and because of what happened along the way.
    Happy IWSG Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Time seems to go too fast for me too. I sometimes wonder if years will seem like days when I reach 80! What you mentioned are definitely all definitions of writing success. I wish all those definitions were my case as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all your additions to a success as a writer, I think another way to quantify it is seeing that it is complete. That you worked on a project for so long and it is finally complete.

    This is the first time I read that seeing the promotions for your works are a hallmark of success. It is touching because I know that it is one of the first books that readers see when they walk into a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've added some great items into the "success" category. I agree with all of them.

    ReplyDelete