Wednesday, May 4, 2022

My May IWSG Post and my writing highs and lows

 

April was a lucky month for me as I signed two book deals and luckily for me, both the books will be out by June, maybe end of May itself. I’m doing a happy dance. Plus, I also discussed a picture book trilogy with another independent publisher.

With a new month and the first Wednesday of the month, it’s time for IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) post. IWSG is an online group of writers, it was started by Alex J Cavanaugh the author of Amazon Bestsellers : CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars. The IWSG website is packed with writing related posts. To read the other IWSG posts, visit the group’s page.

May 4 question - It's the best of times; it's the worst of times. What are your writer highs (the good times)? And what are your writer lows (the crappy times)?

The awesome co-hosts for the May 4 posting of the IWSG are Kim Elliot, Melissa Maygrove, Chemist Ken, Lee Lowery, and Nancy Gideon!

I have had both the highs and lows and trust me when I say that both have been in extremes. The writer highs have ofcourse been book contracts and amazing reader reviews and the books going into multiple reprints, inching towards 10,000 copies being sold of each title. The lows have been a series of long waits by the publishers for replies and the delays of two of my non-fiction books, due to the pandemic and the lockdowns.

Writer lows: Last year I signed a contract for a picture book with a new and small publisher. I was paid a small advance by the publisher and next week the contract was terminated. Luckily the publisher (the single woman organization) asked me to keep the advance as I had revised the book. Before that in 2019, I had been commissioned a mythology book based on my serialized story, by one of India’s independent publishers, the book was ready, complete with wonderful illustrations and the final PDF was sent to me for approval. I promptly went through the PDF and sent in my changes which were done overnight. Sadly, a day later, on the day the book was supposed to be sent to the printer, the editor calls me to tell me that the book has been put on an indefinite hold. A few months later we mutually terminated the contract. As the advance hadn’t yet been paid, there was no money to return.

Well those were the lows, as I had come so close to the books being published,  and then experienced disappointment.

I try to hold on to the highs, instead of clinging to the lows.


13 comments:

  1. That's awful you lost both deals. Were those books picked up by someone else?
    Two books next month! Now that's a great high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, one of those books is a part of my picture book trilogy which I'm negotiating with a publisher. Fingers crossed.
      A big five publisher showed an interest in the mythology book last year, but right now no progress on it.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the two new book deals! And fingers crossed for you on the picture book trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madeline, keep those fingers crossed for me.

      Delete
  3. Hang on to those highs! You've got a lot of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nearly 10,000 copies a piece! That's an awesome high! Congratulations on your writing contracts and publications. Boo to the lows, but hopefully, your two new book deals will go smoothly to the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new book deals...AWESOME! All the best with their publication.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be so frustrating to come close to publication multiple times, only to have it fall through like that! However, I'm glad you're holding on to the highs. It sounds like you've had some great successes too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most of us experience this see-saw of highs and lows. Sometimes all in one day. Wishing you a wonderful May.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly books being cancelled and publishers closing shop happen all too often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely highs you've enjoyed, Rachna. Congratulations on the book contracts. I guess we need a few (hopefully minor) lows every once in a while to really appreciate the highs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. But I'm glad you are doing better now. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That certainly illustrates the uncertainty of the industry. I hope there are more highs for you in the future.

    ReplyDelete