Wednesday, May 3, 2023

May IWSG Post and what Inspires me?


 Its horribly hot here in Bangalore. I think I will start melting soon. All I want to do is sit under the fan and read. Sadly, deadlines are staring at me from all sides.

The 30 days of April flew by with several rounds of edits for a new book, some short stories, my columns and research for another book. Before I realized it, we had stepped into May and into another IWSG. Started by author Alex J Cavanaugh, IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) is a buzzing group of global writers. Alex is a best-selling author, a musician and everyone’s favourite Santa, he is always trying to help writers.

The awesome co-hosts for the May 3 posting of the IWSG are Joylene Nowell Butler, Ronel Janse vanVuuren, Meka James, Victoria Marie Lees and M Louise Barbour!

May 3 question - When you are working on a story, what inspires you?

When I am working on a story, the story and the characters inspire me. At that time, I am obsessed with getting all the words out, into a word document. Once I get an idea, the characters start stalking me. They catch hold of me and start blabbering. They don’t leave me unless and until I tell their story. Once I get into the flow, then I just need to write that first draft. The faster I write that first draft, the better I feel.

What about you all? What inspires you when you are working on a story?


12 comments:

  1. You are always so productive! I bet the heat won't slow you down at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you! The characters rule my corner of the universe as well. Hope that heat breaks for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as you write, your characters must stalk and inspire you often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's cool how you get so immersed in your stories. Hope it gets cooler for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My characters act like brats the minute I give them a platform. They stalk me, infiltrating every waking moment of my days! But I guess that's a good thing. It helps hold me accountable to actually finish their stories. Hope you can find some weather relief soon! It's just starting to get hot and humid here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your post and realized something I'd forgotten, I'm inspired during the editing process. In fact, I'm never as happy as when I'll dissecting a scene. Happy IWSG Day, Rachna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My characters are with me 24/7 too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fast drafts are great for getting your characters to the right places.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Characters take over and move into your brain - sometimes there's not much room left for anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We experienced that horrible humidity during February, March and part of April. Thankfully, it's much cooler now at the beginning of May.
    Enjoy those characters stalking you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get inspired by my characters and they tell me what is next for them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Attain the height of refinement and class with our Kala Mandir Best Online Saree. Our displayed stock includes an outstanding variety of sarees which are infused with old crafting styles and modern designs patterns. Nurture elegance in your being by the use of Saree Online Sale of exquisite nature, patterns, which are interesting, and classics never go out of fashion. Purchase the most gorgeous sarees directly from Kala Mandir and let each time you wear one of them look like a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete