Humor I feel is one of the most important elements in our stories and also the hardest to get it right. As writers we do not have a visual medium to portray humor. But we have words at our disposal. With words we can create humorous situations. There are several ways to add humor into our stories. Here are few of them.
1. The names of characters/places and objects can be funny.
2. We can also give characters some quirks: a twitch, a distinctive style of
talking or a weird way of dressing.
3. One of the best way of adding humor can be through Descriptions.
Funny descriptions make the readers laugh. Eg “she had spread like
melted butter.” “A bee could get lost in the hair on his body.”
4. As writers we can use words to conjure up Situations which can be
comical by creating a Comedy of Errors.
5. Dialogues can be infused with mega doses of humor to bring on the
laughter. Dialogues are the best places to add humor. I am working on
6. The way a character thinks (the internal conversation ) can be humorous.
This can be one of the easiest way to bring the element of humor into our
7. We have to find new and funny way to say the same often repeated old
8. A fantastic way to add humor is via Satire and Irony. Irony is the use of
words to express the opposite of their literal meaning. Satire is the use of
irony or wit to attack something. But its also extremely difficult because
if not handled well it can leave the reader confused. I seldom use satire
and irony as I am not very confident I can do them justice.
9. We can use funny metaphors and similes that can give a comical twist
to a familiar image in a reader's mind. “ He was as thin as a breadstick.”
“Her skin was as soft as a caramel custard, “His chin wobbled like jelly.”
10. One of the best advice for adding humor is to stir the senses. Sensory
Humor is giving funny descriptions when describing something with
the five senses: especially while describing sounds, tastes and smells.
Whether we writers are personally funny or serious is not important. What is important is whether we can make readers think that our characters, dialogues and situations are funny. Whether we can make our readers laugh.
How do you all add humor in your stories? Is there any humor secret/wisdom you would like to share? Please tell us, we all can learn from it.