- Fear of choosing the wrong subject. A subject that will just not interest the readers, agents and editors. This is one of my biggest fears.
- Fear of not doing justice to it by way of plot, characters, dialogues, setting and resolution.
- Fear of not having sufficient time to devote to the manuscript.
- Fear of not being able to complete the book. Many times half way through writing we realize that certain elements are just not gelling. Should I shelve the book, or rewrite?
- Fear of not getting an agent. It’s a fear that has gripped me now in a big way.
- Fear of the book not finding any home (publishing house) even though the agent is on board. (That is my biggest fear). Once I overcome no.5, I will be caught by this fear.
- Fear of the editor chopping parts that we considered crucial or important. That is after the book has been placed with a publishing house. For one of my earlier books the illustrator made a blunder and I had to bear the brunt of it by changing one of my main characters.
- Fear of being trashed by critics on whose words hang our writing careers. (If a critic is having a bad day, the result is a bad review).
- Fear of readers disliking the book. I always worry about this one.
11.Fear of not being given another chance to redeem ourselves.