Friday, May 26, 2017

My book reviewing woes

I’ve mentioned many times that I review books for two newspapers. With so much responsibility comes a big headache. It’s not possible for me to like every book I read and review and my editor has specifically asked me to be very honest in my reviews and point out the flaws in the books.

Just two days back I finished reviewing a book for the newspaper, to be honest my review wasn’t a favourable one. Actually while reading the first few pages I realized that I didn’t like the way the writer had treated the historical character. Infact, she had made him look like a buffoon. I was absolutely shocked that the book had been published by a big publisher. I mean it made a mockery of an entire section of history, so as to come across as cool and funny, and it had such a flippant tone that I was tearing out my hair in frustration.

Sometimes I wonder how do the commissioning editors overlook all this. I mean when they have so much power vested in them, shouldn’t they be extra careful about the kind of books they publish? Shouldn’t they be concerned with the kind of writing that comes out of their publishing house. Here I’m not saying that the book was badly written with poor grammar and sentence structure. Far from it. I admit that the author had done a lot of research and familiarized us with things we had no knowledge of, but she could have done so without lampooning so many things in history.

Though my review has not belittled the author or her writing skills, I’ve mentioned what I didn’t like about the book (there were many things) and I have clearly mentioned all of them. I feel when the review is published in a few days, I will be ruffling quite a few feathers. But there was no way I could lie and give the book a good rating or praise it when it didn’t deserve it.

Do you think I did the right thing? Should I have overlooked what I didn’t like and not mentioned it in my review? What would you have done in my place?


18 comments:

  1. No, you have to be honest. I'm sure you found a couple good things to say about it as well.
    Actually, it doesn't surprise me that book was published with that tone. That's just where we are in society right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are touching on a theme that has bothered me for some time: There are many good writers with wonderful writing skills, and they write books that engage readers . . . but is it a worthwhile read? Sometimes editors are really into "edgy", or "pushing the envelope", because it sells. But does that guarantee a good book? A well-written book, probably. A good to applaud? Not always. Keep being true to yourself, Rachna, when you review books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that is how history gets changed. Sad. Stick to your honest review. People need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You absolutely did the right thing. Honesty equals integrity in this case. And as for publishers/editors, I'm not surprised some of these thing slipped by them. They're often so busy that they rely more and more on the author to confirm that what they say is true or makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You absolutely did the right thing. If a big publisher that knows better saw value, it is possible they viewed the style as one some people will appreciate. As a reviewer, you can point out what the author did well but that the tone was not to your personal liking. That doesn't mean others shouldn't like it. I hope you post a follow-up if you do get a lot of flack. Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. If your reviews weren't honest then people would no longer value them, and you'd be out of a job. You did the right thing. I'd love to have a job as a book reviewer. If I weren't a publisher I'd start a book review blog, or start reviewing a ton of books on Amazon and become a top reviewer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine that being a book reviewer is stressful. If you genuinely have problems with a book it would be a disservice to say only good things about it. I always appreciate honest reviews. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't review books anymore if I can't give them 4 or 5 stars, but in your case, if you're obligated to review every book you read, then you must be honest. However, it never hurts to mention that liking or disliking a well-written book is a subjective undertaking. The book you dislike may be the best book ever written for another reader with a different outlook on history and humor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a difficult job! I'm sure you handled it in the most positive, professional way possible.
    Patricia had a good point in mentioning that the review is subjective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a tough job! I think if you added in those points about the good writing, then you did the most professional job you could do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you've done the right thing. It's your job to give honest reviews and you'd not be doing it if you gave only praise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go ahead and write it proper, I think. It's still probably better journalism than the rest of what's in the paper, if the Indian press is anything like the American press.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've hit the reason I don't review anymore. You just can't give a honest review without ruffling feathers. I think you did right by being true to your feelings, and it's great you pointed out the reasons without being insulting. I think big publishers sometimes choose books that are "different" and controversial -- pushing more people to read it to see what the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sure that would have been a hard stand to take especially when you knew it would have it's repercussions. Kudos to that.
    As readers we would expect a fair review and I for one do not like making fun of historical figures

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have to be honest at all times. You did the right thing. At the same time, we all have a traditional view that a particular historical character is supposed to be like this. When someone challenges that, right or wrong, we beg to differ.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, you have to be honest. I'm sure you were as kind and tactful as possible. When faced with this kind of thing, I try to draw out some positive aspects as well if I can. This is one reason why I don't consent to many reviews, for I prefer to review only books I enjoy, or can say positive or constructive things about them. Reviews are tricky, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete