Wednesday, June 6, 2018

June IWSG Post – What’s Easy, Book Titles or Character Names

For a change I scheduled my IWSG post one day in advance. And I’m proud of that fact that I’ve become a teeny-weeny bit organized. I can’t believe that its the sixth IWSG of 2018. IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) is an online community of writers, posting on the first Wednesday of every month, our posts are usually related to our writing. The IWSG website has amazing posts on writing and publishing.

The credit for creating IWSG goes to Ninja Captain Alex J Cavanaugh (author of the Amazon Bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars). Alex is also a fantastic musician and a wonderful human. He had this great idea of starting this group, to help writers talk of their fears, worries and insecurities. Thanks to Alex, IWSG has become a welcome therapy for us writers.

June 6 question – What’s harder for you to come up with, book titles or character names?

Actually both book titles and character names are easy for me. Infact the moment a story pops up in my mind, it arrives accompanied with its title and the names of the central characters. Very rare do I have trouble thinking of book/story titles or character names. I’m lucky that way. Wish the plotting too was so easy!

I look forward to reading what comes easy for you all.

16 comments:

  1. You are lucky that way! And very organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is lucky! I usually land on titles much quicker than characters' names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are blessed. I admit that some books I've written the title jumps out at me. Other times I've struggled for months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really are lucky! Sometimes I could be half-way through with a story before I get the title. Other times, I get the title before I even begin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually get titles right away too, but that doesn't mean they're very good. A few are. Most are a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you're very lucky. Next time I buy a lotto ticket I'll be asking for some of that luck. ;-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great that your book titles and character names come to you easily. Leaves you lots of time to write the story without wondering what to call your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What, easy? Lol:) You are very luck then, Rachna;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You are lucky. Not me. My new manuscript has the title of New Story for now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kind of makes me want to cry... :P
    Good for you - hoping some of your magic rubs off!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done on being a teeny weeny bit organised!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love working short stories then expanding into something bigger. Large portions of my Breakthrough trilogy are short stories I tweaked and put in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are lucky that the "whole package" comes to you all neatly wrapped!

    I read an interesting IWSG post where the author said she researches geography and culture before settling on a name. Another IWSG participant said that a name needs to also be decade-appropriate, which makes sense if one actually wants to find the best possible name for the character.
    For me? I like the ‘sound’ of a name. But as wonderful as a name ‘sounds’, the aural appeal should ideally be secondary to the appropriateness of the name.

    ReplyDelete