Wednesday, December 1, 2021

My December IWSG post and writing stresses and delights

 

This year flew at a supersonic speed, making everything a gigantic blur. This year I wrote so many picture books that I surprised myself. I also rewrote a middle grade novel, revised a love story and edited a few chapter books. I exercised like a maniac. I also made some wonderful publishing connections, had some amazing feedback from agents. But my reading suffered a lot. I guess I am no superwoman who can do everything!

With the end of 2021 comes the last IWSG of the year. IWSG was started by the amazing Alex J Cavanaugh. Alex is the author of Amazon Bestsellers: CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars. Do visit the IWSG website for more information on this wonderful group and some writing related posts.

December 1 question – In your writing, what stresses you the most? What delights you?

The awesome co-hosts for December 1 posting of the IWSG are PJ Colando, Diane Burton, Louise-Fundy Blue, Natalie Aguirre and Jacqui Murray!

What stresses me about my writing is when I get stuck with a difficult scene or in a sticky plot hole. I also get stressed wondering whether the readers will like what I have written. Before the readers I start worrying whether the editor I have submitted to, will like what I have written. I’m delighted when the story shapes up beautifully and make an emotional connection with the readers and when the readers gush over my book/s.

What are your writing stresses and delights?

 

 


19 comments:

  1. Some years are just for writing. I think it's awesome you wrote so many books this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a creative and productive year - well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing, revising, and exercising - sounds like an excellent year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Congratulations on your productive year!
    I don't like those sticky plot points either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachna,

    CONGRATS on all your writing TRIUMPHS and that you kept up with being fit and healthy...that is not easy.

    You writing is wonderful and you have SO MANY admires, try not to stress too much. You are a HUGE success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've had a great year - congrats!!!
    When I hit those sticky plot holes, I almost always end up deleting 5-10k out of my first draft and starting over from when I've gone wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive! Got to admire all that you've accomplished! Especially your exercise regime. And I'm sure 2022 will be even better for you. Wishing you the merriest and healthiest Holiday Season ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we all stress about if the reader will like our story. The more you read what's new right now will help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also find plot holes stressful, but the anguish is more than compensated for by that aah moment when you find a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great you wrote so much and also exercised. I consistently wrote this year too. And I worry about the reaction to what I write too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you did so much this year. I feel lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That stress of whether or not someone will like our creations is universal I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a year you've had! Congrats. And as a writer there's not much more you can ask for than knowing you've touched someone with your work. Doesn't make the stresses easier, maybe, but puts them in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay, Rachna! You did great this year! Congratulations! I work out hard too. It makes me feel better. Touching others is really powerful and gratifying. Have a happy holiday season, and may next year be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Rachna! You must be so proud of yourself for being so productive. Well done. Happy IWSG day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on all the books you've written this year. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you got a lot done this year! Good for you, Rachna. I get stressed too wondering if readers will like my work. It comes with the territory I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It seems like it's so easy to get stuck in a plot hole or scene, especially when you have to change even the littlest detail in a story (it seems). If I get stuck like that I'll either put the story aside for a while or freewrite non-stop through the scene to come up with ideas/solutions like in brainstorming.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats, Rachna! Sounds like you had a very productive year!
    We have to take the delightful with the stressful - it's part of the overall package - can't have one without the other, hey?

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete