Wednesday, January 5, 2022

January IWSG post and my writing regret

 

The Omicron variant of the Coronavirus has decided to cast its gloom all over the world. The fifth day of the year and our government has already announced a weekend curfew from this week. We are also undergoing a night curfew from the past few days. 2022 has dashed all our hopes. I pray that as the months pass, things will get better.

My resolution this year is to write lots and read lots. Fingers crossed that I achieve both my goals.

A new year, a new month and we have the first IWSG of the year. IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group) an online group of writers was started by the amazing Alex J Cavanaugh. Alex Cavanaugh is the author of Amazon Bestsellers : CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars. Do visit the IWSG website for more information on this wonderful group and some writing related posts. To read the other IWSG posts, visit the group’s page.

January 5 question - What's the one thing about your writing career you regret the most? Were you able to overcome it?

The awesome co-hosts for the January 5 posting of the IWSG are Erika Beebe, Olga Godim, Sandra Cox, Sarah Foster and Chemist Ken!

I regret not submitting widely during the first few years of my writing life/career. For the first couple of years, I had submitted to just one publisher (I know that was very foolish of me) I rue and regret this mistake every single day. I also rue the fact that I didn’t write for different age groups. For many years, I stuck to writing middle grade fiction and short stories for the children's section of the newspapers. Luckily, now I have overcome both these obstacles/handicaps in a big way.

What about you all? What do you regret about your writing career?

P.S. Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.

 


17 comments:

  1. But now you do write widely and are very successful at it!
    Rough start to 2022, but they say this new variant will likely bring the end of the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year in spite of the variant. I know things will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the pandemic is discouraging. I'm having to stay home most of the time to protect my mom and me. Good luck reading and writing more during this challenging time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no doubt that you will achieve your goals of reading a lot and writing a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachna,

    Knowing how dedicated you are, I know you will meet your goals. Happy New Year!

    I am so sorry that this heinous virus is inflicting your country. It is horrible here as well. I just read a article today, that the Omnicron variant is milder, but more contagious. At least many people will not be hospitalized or die from this variant as the others. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of authors are afraid to diversify.

    Despite being vaxed, I'm back to my N95 mask when I go out because I don't want even a mild version. Hoping this finally gets us to that herd immunity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rachna,

    Where I live we have new restrictions in place as well, though many ignore them. We're all in this together, so hang in there!

    Good luck with your goals for this year--you're going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've got new restrictions in place as well - hoping things will improve because of them!!
    I love your goals - read lots and write lots - think I'll emulate that one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing and reading help so much :) cheers to you and keeping your spirits up. Happy IWSG day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This virus... I don't really see it every going away. I hope I'm wrong. In the mean time, at least writing can be done from home.

    My best to you in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm impressed that you moved out of MG to tackle different kinds of projects. I love kidlit too, and mostly write that, but it's nice to break out every once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you still submitting to various publishers, or have you considered self-publishing? From what I hear, MG is hard to break into. Keep writing.

    Happy 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Branching out and trying new things is always a good idea!

    The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year, Rachna!

    The Omicron variant is a nightmare. Hopefully, it will be the last...
    I agree with you about writing widely and submitting to various publications/platforms/magazines. We shouldn't restrict ourselves.

    Good luck with your writing goals!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The great thing is that you've overcome those regrets. We all learn from our mistakes. That's the most important part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope this is a great year for both your goals and that we end this year virus free, or at least stable. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so ready for this gloom to be over, but in the meantime I'm trying to make more time for both reading and writing. Blogging too;)

    ReplyDelete