Today, I have the pleasure of hosting a close blog buddy of mine: Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. He is the author of the successful Cassa Trilogy: a space opera, which is on the Amazon’s bestsellers list. Alex will share his time management secrets with us.
Time Management, Ninja Style!
I joke that I use clones to get everything done. But really, it’s just me. I’m one lone Ninja balancing work, family, writing, blogging, music, and life.
Learning to juggle everything hasn’t been easy. I’m not a natural multi-tasker. I still manage to make it work though.
Here are some of the things I do to manage my time without the use of clones:
· I’m fortunate that I can blog from work. I perform my duties on one computer while blogging on another. (And often while watching a movie on a third!)
· I keep my regular blogger buddies in a separate folder in my reader so I can access them quickly
· I stick to a schedule, blogging Monday-Wednesday-Friday. This gives me a break in between so I don’t burn out.
· Posts are planned in advance and as I find new items, I add the links to the appropriate file in Word. (Then I don’t have to go back and search for something.)
· I have a calendar and keep track of all blog events. (Be terrible to miss my own blogfest!)
· Guest posts are written well in advance. (Mostly so I don’t forget!)
· When working on a manuscript, I block out two to four hours every evening. It doesn’t matter what else is happening in the world – that is my time to write.
· I’m a lazy writer, so I take advantage of NaNo and similar challenges. (Gives me the motivation I need because I hate to lose.)
Life in general
· I don’t have kids, but I do have a wife who needs attention. We eat dinner, play games, and see a lot of movies together. My freedom to do so many things is a testimony to the strength of our relationship and good communication. (It also helps that my wife has the patience of a Saint.)
· I’m also a guitar player in a band and practice a minimum of one hour a day. Knowing others are depending on me not to suck motivates me to schedule time.
· I know when to take breaks and enjoy life rather than let it control me.
I know my pace of visiting over a hundred blogs a day is something a lot of people can’t fathom. Then again, there are those who write a story every month, read several books a week, or home school their kids. We all have situations and challenges that are unique, just as we all possess different strengths and talents. We have to find what works best for us.
I think it all comes down to what a person really wants to do with his time. If it’s a priority, we’ll find a way to make it happen.
With or without the use of clones!
Alex J. Cavanaugh
Alex J. Cavanaugh has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and works in web design and graphics. He is experienced in technical editing and worked with an adult literacy program for several years. A fan of all things science fiction, his interests range from books and movies to music and games. Online he is the Ninja Captain and founder of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. The author of the Amazon bestsellers, CassaStar and CassaFire, his third book, CassaStorm, will be released September 17, 2013.
Thank you Alex, for letting us into your time-management secrets. Hopefully, we will be able to accomplish a little of what you so effortlessly do everyday.