When we create our Protagonists, I am sure we all pay attention to every aspect of their personality and life. The literary journey they undertake is planned and plotted in detail.
We have a clear picture or a visual image of our Main Character’s physical appearance. While working on my current WIP, I pondered over my MC’s (a young girl) Mental and Emotional Quotient to get a clearer picture of her personality.
Here are a few guidelines that help us in creating the Emotional Quotient of our MC’s :
- Is our MC an introvert, extrovert or an ambivert. Do these traits become her asset or work to her disadvantage? Is our MC a loner, or, a people’s person?
- Do our MC’s have concrete goals in their lives, or are they drifters, floating aimlessly wherever life takes them?
- Is our MC prone to emotional mood swings, or is he/she an emotionally balanced and stable person. Do these emotional see-saws affect her relationship with people and make her commit mistakes?
- Is he or she prone to anxiety/worries/stress, or are they confident of their abilities to get out of tight spots and tricky situations?
- Is the MC’s mentality that of a spendthrift, a stingy person, secretive, or a hoarder?
- How is the MC’s behaviour towards people: disdainful, respectful, tolerant. Is he/she the type who just cannot be bothered about people, as they feel most people are just a waste of their time.
- Is the MC a snob, who considers most of humanity below her/his dignity, or is the MC a humble kind, eager to please.
- Is the MC aggressive or assertive? By assertive I always stress that we stand up for ourselves, voice our anger over injustice and indignities. Aggression is resorting to Bullying Tactics.
- Is the MC someone who forgives easily or are they the kind who hold grudges and need to settle scores.
- Is the MC the type who takes herself/himself and life seriously, or are they the chilled out type; the happy go lucky.
- Is the MC the God fearing type, or an atheist? Does this trait affect her behaviour and influence her judgements and reactions to situations?
- Is the MC a dominating type, or submissive, or in between?
- Does the MC belong to the species who are quick to jump to conclusions, or does he or she believe in giving people a benefit of doubt? Is the MC judgemental?
- Is our MC a selfless human, or do they believe in plain self-interest over everything else? Is the MC a people user?
- Is our MC a Snob, or is he/ she a modest person?
What kind of an MC have you created? How do you work on the Mental and Emotional Quotient of your MC’s. Any pointers that you all would like to share with us?
Picture Credit and Copyright Melissa Crytzer Fry