Friday, August 24, 2012

Using index cards to plot stories

I usually write a detailed plot outline, moving from one chapter to another chronologically, on paper. The plot outline for my last manuscript took me nearly four weeks.

 This time I decided to cut short that time as I am working on several projects and my crit partners have been asking about when am I going to send them my next story.

 My blog buddies have frequently mentioned index cards and white boards, that make plotting a novel easy. I decided to try them to see if it suits me. And believe me when I say that it works like a charm.

I tried to buy index cards from stationary shops near my house, but they weren’t available. Though I have yet to get a white board, I made index cards for myself. I cut paper I usually write in, to make rectangles of equal length.

On each piece of paper I have written a scene outline, just a few lines about the scene, what it highlights and the characters involved. It’s been fun visualizing the random scenes from the book. Half the index cards I have made are filled with scene outlines.

Though it’s the first time I am trying out the index card method, I feel its a wonderful tool to visualize the entire story. The major scenes are coming into focus. The characters are jumping out from the index cards to tell me their stories. The mood of each scene is also appearing.

Correct me if I am wrong, I feel that this way the extra words that usually plague our stories are minimized, as we know just what to put in each scene. I realized that there may be a problem trying to link the scenes, as they are not in a chronological order. But, I am sure I will surmount that small problem as I wade deeper into the story.

It’s also been fun to arrange the index cards in different ways to see what is going to work best for the story. As I am still plotting out the scenes, I haven’t given the index cards any numbers. As of now it’s just a collection of scenes.

How many of you use the index cards method to plot out your novels? For those of you who don’t use the index card method, how do you go about plotting your novels? Do you think index cards are the best way of plotting the stories and writing the different scenes? Please share your views with us. 

30 comments:

  1. Rachna, for me it is now a never ending learning from seasoned writers like you , who so generously share these valuable tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never used index cards, although I do take a lot of time on my outlines. Last one I spent four months on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot about the index-card-method. Lots of writers talk about it.
    Since I'm trying to plot my first story, I think I might just try this method...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to give it a try. I probably do something like that anyway, just on notepads and sheets of paper. But, index cards might be a better way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have to give this a go too. It sounds intriguing. Glad it's working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love note card outlining. If I have a complicated chapter, I will even break it down with note cards to help plot and flesh it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm more of a collage person--I collect photos, magazine pictures, clippings and arrange them on a bulletin board. The story begins to unfold as I learn more about my characters. When I do use index cards, it's mostly to keep track of research details... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use index cards and absolutely love them. It's such a great way to get the scenes in my head onto paper quickly so I can look at them and sort through them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually use a spreadsheet or word processor to plot, or just write it out chronologically. I've never tried the index card-method--should try that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Scrivvener is supposed to work the same way as index cards. I haven't got the hang of either. I just take copious notes, and I don't mind writing scenes out of sequence. My mind is not very disciplined.

    Probably why I like the editing/revision process better than draft writing.

    Hey, good luck with the new system. Whatever works.

    .....dhole

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find these posts of yours absolutely fascinating, even when they seem not to apply to me directly - though later on I sometimes find there was something in it foe after all! Excellent. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never plot my story until it's written, so I can't tell you if index cards work for me. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi friends, I heard about the index cards method from many bloggers. It sounded something I wanted to try. That's why lack of availability of index cards in stationary shops didn't put me off and I made my own.

    Its really nice to see the individual scenes coming to life. And also fun to arrange them in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use an Excel spreadsheet, but I'd like to try out a whiteboard or cork board.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use index cards during revisions, but not during the outlining. For that i just scribble on paper or make some Word outlines.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've used index cards but now I use software that allows me to have virtual index cards on the computer. Very helpful for getting the story in good shape.

    mood

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't tried working with index cards, but this post has motivated me to try that with my next book in the series I'm writing. I can see how effective putting scenes on cards would be especially. Thanks for sharing such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's great you've found a new method of plotting. You know how I plot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds interesting. My use of notes has basically dwindled to zero. This is mainly because I work in the kitchen, I don't want people to see them, and I got bored with tidying them away to a hiding place every day. I figure if I forget something, then I didn't really need it. Though that probably isn't the best approach...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've heard of this method but never tried it. It does sounds like a good way to go about it. I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I usually plot each of my scenes on a seperate sheet and then put them all in order so I can easily find them and shift them around if I want. But the index card thing sounds good too. I might try that with my next book. Thanks, Rachna!

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love using index cards. And now that I use Scrivener, it's even easier to plot that way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Rachna!

    I love using index cards, but I'm more of the pantser kind of writer, so I create the index cards after I write the scene, just to keep track of everything, and then I put them on my bulletin board. It helps me visualize the major arc.

    A friend of mine just painted his entire wall with white board paint. Brilliant! He can draw/brain storm/plan on a whole wall in his office, then erase it cleanly. I'd like to try that someday.

    --Dayana

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never tried the index card method but use something similar - large post-it notes and brown paper. I hang a large sheet of brown paper on the wall and do a post-it note for all the major acts/plot points/chapters and then add a post-it note for each scene. The paper can be rolled up afterwards and unfolded when needed, or kept on a wall. The joy of post-it notes, like index cards, is that they can be moved around or removed altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I saw a J.K. Rowling on Oprah a few years agao and she used index cards. Lots and lots of them. Talk about organized. Of course, this was when she first started out and computers where just becoming mainstream.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I saw a J.K. Rowling on Oprah a few years agao and she used index cards. Lots and lots of them. Talk about organized. Of course, this was when she first started out and computers where just becoming mainstream.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like you have a great strategy:) I personally just prefer bullet lists, but the key is to find out what works for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good tip Rachna, as always:) Yes I have noticed that you are posting less frequently..just busy with other stuff huh?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love index cards! I'm glad you're finding it fun--a bit like a game--right?

    ReplyDelete