Thursday, April 3, 2014

C is for Confidence

C is for Confidence. Every writer can vouch for the fact that their confidence levels fluctuate drastically. Day to day. Even hour to hour.  Our confidence levels perk up when a Shiny New Idea hits us with the force of a tornado.

Our confidence levels are so dependent on external factors like feedback from critique partners, beta readers, editors, reviewers and agents, that many times our confidence has not just been shaken up but also stirred vigorously and thrown in several directions when their words are not favourable.

And after that we poor writers are left to lick our wounds in private, nurse our writing egos and limp back on to the writing path to start afresh.

My confidence level fluctuates like a see-saw. High one moment, very low the next moment.

How do you all handle low confidence days? Actually what shakes your confidence in your writing abilities?

Note: this is my post for the A to Z Challenge. My theme is Emotions and Feelings writers experience.

13 comments:

  1. Nice one, Rachna but there are times when I don't feel like writing but would not say it is because of lack of confidence.... but more because of the state of mind:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just remind myself that Gog gave me the ability (in all things) and I can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remind myself why I write. I doesn't take confidence to do something you love to do. When that focus shifts, say to competition in the marketplace, that can start to undermine your confidence, as well as make you lose the joy of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I feel insecure about my writing, I send it off to someone to peruse. Whether they like the work or not, I've forced myself to release my work for other eyes to see, and that helps a lot. It makes it easier when I submit things; forcing myself to share always makes me face my fear/insecurities. There's an acronym I learned "FEAR" It stands for "Feel Everything And Recover." Feeling whatever dejection or rejection that may come with sharing my work typically sorts my insecurities out before they can get the best of me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My biggest confidence boosters are when people compliment my writing, especially my fiction. I write to entertain others, so knowing I managed to do so is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's difficult. When you doubt yourself it becomes a self-fulling prophecy. Hard to break the cycle. I think you have to take a measured view of all aspects of your life and not try and put all the pressure on just one thing like writing.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting on day 3 of the #atozchallenge with all my fellow writers. I appreciate all the hard work it takes to participate. I hope you make many new blogging friends. Really like your blogs visual presentation. Uncluttered, the post itself obviously the focus of the writing/blog. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emotions--great subject for the A-to-Z challenge, Rachna :-) My confidence is bolstered when I actually write. It's the days when I don't get any words down that I feel my confidence wane. So for me it's a matter of actually writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Confidence is a hard one to keep stable unless you really are one of those people who don't care what others think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. confidence is a great word for c.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi friends, my confidence is boosted when I think how much my readers loved my earlier stories. Its then I feel that if I can do it once I can do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My confidence was shaken regularly when I first began writing. The ups and downs are not quite as dramatic as they used to be, perhaps due to experience, developing a tough hide, and never putting all my eggs in one basket. Confidence is an excellent "C" word.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im not sure i do "handle" low confidence days, and just lately, they seem to be EVERY day ;)

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge xx

    ReplyDelete