Wednesday, March 2, 2022

My March IWSG and Writing Conflicts

 

In India, everything has opened up now, though everyone is still wearing a mask. I am hoping the pandemic is behind us. I desperately want a return to normalcy, as I have lived under the fear of the virus for too long.

This year my aim is to conquer my fears and explore different possibilities. I have managed to do both (to a certain extent). I will share the details soon.

As it’s the first Wednesday of the month, it’s time for the Insecure Writer’s Support Group (IWSG) post. IWSG was started by the wonderful Alex J Cavanaugh, the author of Amazon Bestsellers : CassaStar, CassaStorm, CassaFire and Dragon of the Stars. The IWSG website is packed with writing related posts. To read the other IWSG posts, visit the group’s page.

March 2 question - Have you ever been conflicted about writing a story or adding a scene to a story? How did you decide to write it or not?

The awesome co-hosts for the March 2 posting of the IWSG are Janet Alcorn, Pat Garcia, Natalie Aguirre and Shannon Lawrence!

Yes, several times I have been conflicted about writing a story or adding a scene to a story. Once, for one of my middle-grade novels, I removed a scene, as I felt that school principals (headmasters) may object to it and ban the books from their school (that would have been disastrous for a children’s book.) After a lot of thought, I decided to rework that particular chapter. For children’s books we authors are always treading a fine line and trying not to cross any lines.

How about you all? How do you handle your writing conflicts?

 

 


21 comments:

  1. I guess I'm like you always concerned with what parents and principals will say about a book or my writing. It helps to keep us writing the best for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't want your book banned!
    We're open and masks mostly optional here. Still wearing mine though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad things are returning to normal in India. They are here too, and I'm ready to venture out again, though I'll still wear my mask.

    And yes, we have have to tread a fine line when writing for kids, even at the YA level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed - when writing for a younger audience, you have to keep in mind the gatekeepers as well!
    Our area loosened restrictions this month, although masks are still required. It will be a long while before I'm comfortable in public settings though

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really have to be cautious what you put into books for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachna. First time here. Nice to know about your YA fiction. Heading over to read more on this blog.
    -Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia, welcome to my blog. Nice to e-meet you :)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to check out your middle grade book. Is it on Amazon? I couldn't find anything on the blog.

      Delete
    2. Sonia, that particular middle grade book isn't published yet. Do look out for my new non-fiction books, they will be published this year. A picture book will be out this month.

      Delete
  8. I think I'd struggle to write for kids or young adults for exactly the reason you cite: having to censor myself to stay on the good side of adults. I think many adults underestimate kids and especially underestimate the challenges they face. They'd rather try to create a sanitized version of the world than help kids learn to live in the real one. Good books can do so much to help kids process the complex realities they face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't write for children, but I have a few personal lines that I won't cross. Not too many, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad I don't write for children. I write speculative fiction. Any sensitive topic I want to touch changes when I put it on a space station 500 years into the future. Or I might explore it in an imaginative world with talking dragons and magic. Anything can happen there, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the same problem Rachna, writing children's books. It is difficult isn't it. Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I worked in a school setting for 29 years. I have many story ideas that revolve around school admins and other personnel, some from real life and some fictional ideas. I hadn't thought about a principal not allowing a story in a library because one was in a story. :)

    Great post!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad India is opening up. Even though our authorities are saying we don't have to wear masks, my husband and I still do. We both have health issues that would make covid dangerous for us. I hope we'll see an end soon.

    It's good that you were able to fix that scene.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You made the right decision to modify the section in question. If the book can't pass the principal's inspection then that defeats the purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you're well and things are on the up and up. I'm cautiously optimistic about Covid these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am faithfully moving forward. When it first started, I was using so much bleach, my husband pointed out that I was going to die by sanitizer before the virus ever got to me. Then I got it and was asymptomatic. Then I got it again and did a little worse, but still did all right. But I have friends who didn't do so well and are still suffering some lung damage. And I know a few people who didn't make it. I've decided I can't predict the future. I'll do my best to stay safe and informed, but I'm moving ahead with living and trusting God to take care of the things I have no control over.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure writing for children has its own unique challenges.
    You definitely don't want your book to be banned.
    Take care, Rachna.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There can definitely be some tricky decisions to be made with children's books. You don't want to patronise them or wrap them in cotton wool, at the same time you don't want to give them nightmares. I think it's about recognising they're intelligent and discerning readers as much as adults are.

    ReplyDelete