Friday, February 25, 2011

Lessons I Learnt from my Current WIP

 My current WIP has taught me more in the past year   than what I learnt in  school and college. When I started it, I was under the impression that it will be a start to finish project. That I could write it in  few months. But it took me over  a year and more to  complete it: I feel it still  needs lots of polishing and editing. But, the major work is over.

Though I had plotted in detail, several drafts later my initial plot outline went for  a toss. The ending was not what I had initially envisaged. As the characters grew: both in my mind and in the story, they became headstrong and wanted their two minutes of fame, via tiny sub-plots. Yes, the doting writer that I am, I allowed them this leeway.

This WIP taught me what mom  and dad tell me is not  my better known quality. I am not known for my patience. This WIP taught me patience by the truckload. It took a long time to arrive at its completion point and there were many roadblocks and obstacles that I had to overcome. Each obstacle ensured that I was away from my WIP for several days. And everytime I returned it was more difficult to get into the story as the distractions had  fiddled with my thinking process.

Few characters jumped into my mind fully formed: arrogant and  full of pride that I would welcome them with open arms. Few other characters were a  part of my extensive brainstorming sessions. I realized that there was no hard and fast rule when it came to characters. Each one has a mind of its own and a temperament to match it.

This WIP taught me that I was  neither a plotter nor a pantser, I was half and half. Though I plotted in details, I often strayed away from it when voices whispered frantically in my ears.

This WIP also taught me submissive behaviour, many times I just bowed down to the inevitable: the pull of the story was too strong and it dragged me along wherever it wanted to go. Many characters too turned into monsters if I did not include them in the subplots.

In the course of writing this WIP, I learnt the important lesson that the final draft or version is  very different from the initial few drafts. It also taught me to let go: scenes I had lovingly created in the first few drafts are nowhere around.

We do learn a lot during the process of writing. The story itself turns out to be the biggest teacher of them all. What have you all learned from your current WIP, or,  are learning in the course of the WIP of the moment. Are your characters and stories making you go crazy? Is your WIP  docile, or, does it have a mind of its own?



 

17 comments:

  1. Mind of its own.

    The beast doesn't even try to pretend that I'm calling the shots.

    ;-)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The writing process keep telling me I need to learn patience. I don't think it's working!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to get to know my characters as much as I can before I start any writing. Still they surprise me when writing. I love how that happens.

    Most manuscripts drive me crazy at some point on another. Usually at the beginning and sometimes towards the end.

    I agree that the writing process and the story are the best teachers.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about the patience thing. That's something I struggle with, too, but writing novels definitely teaches patience!

    I consider myself a plotter, but like you, I excitedly stray away from my plot when the characters tug me in a different direction than I planned.

    Have a great weekend, Rachna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I'm not sure where my WIP will go next I remember Alfred Hitchcock's words, "themes emerge as we go along," and usually feel a bit better. I've found I can't plan out the entire story on index cards before writing, but also can't start from scratch with no pre-planning at all. Like most of life, I usually find the middle path and at times you feel like Frodo, struggling towards your goal, smiling in relief every now and then when you stumble upon a supportive Sam type of person or event. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome post. Yes, each wip teaches us something new, and I love how writers are constantly learning and improving. Those lessons are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, yes--patience. That's what I'm learning the most about, too. But like you, I'm also learning a lot of other stuff along the way. It's a tough, but rewarding process! Great post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My WIP is teaching me that I'm a pantser, which is not the best thing for novel length fiction! I'm sure I'll learnt much more by the time it is finished.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is interesting how the story shifts and grows over time. Through all the revisions. The structure of it remains the same, but the details change, character arcs get stronger, etc ... my writing changes every 6 months or so, too - as I'm still learning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent revelations. I'm most definitely a half plotter and a half panster myself. We should find a name for ourselves! The plonsters?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post! When the idea takes on a life of its own, when characters begin to show their , umm, 'characteristics' and act like real people, ah... writing a new book isn't easy at all.And yet it's what lends meaning and zest to a writer's life.Thanks for sharing your writerly experiences so beautifully and all the best with your WIP and with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post, Rachna. I find that I learn more the more I write, as well. And like you said, the WIP is the greatest teacher, perhaps revealing more than formal training. I am also a half-and-half when it comes to plotting AND listening to my characters. The biggest area of growth for me has been in letting go, as you mentioned ... and not feeling as if I've been harpooned when I slash and edit sections that I struggled to compose in the first place... All part of the learning curve, I believe. All things that make us stronger as writers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WIPs really do have a mind of their own! Though I plan as much as possible before writing, still at times the plot strays off and wanders on its own course.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh yes indeed! My WIP is sending me to the insane asylum -- slowly, but surely ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know exactly what you mean! My characters love to run the show... but I discover so much along the way. I'm definitely half and half plotter and pantser too, but a lot of the time, the story is revealed as I go along :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love hearing about your journey! Stories definitely have a mind of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rachna, you always put a smile on my face. Blessings, dear one.

    ReplyDelete