Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Why do we Connect with some Characters?

Few Weeks back I had done a post on  Do Characters Make a Story, where  I  had spoken about a book I read sometime back where the Main Character  did not appeal to me. But, I ploughed on through the book because of the story which was interesting and kept me turning the pages  to know what happened next.

The post opened up a list of views where every writer differed; few believed that strong characters made for a good story, while few said that they were partial to a good plot irrespective of the appeal of the protagonist.

I hasten to deny that the reason I did not connect with the protagonist  was not because of the fact that  he was an old man. If that was the case, I would  surely connect with every book housing younger protagonists.

My good friend Jai Joshi asked me a very interesting question, “I'm wondering about your experience reading this book about the elderly man. You say you didn't connect with him, but did you connect with any of the other characters? Sometimes it's possible to not be into the main character at all but be fascinated by the minor characters. Many times for me during reads it's the minor characters who have carried me through the story.”

Jai’s question made me think. To be completely honest, I had not given the ensemble or the supporting characters much thought. But I loved each and every one and their individual stories made for an exceptionally good read: they ranged from  a domestic help to a flower seller, from a butcher who also moonlighted as a school teacher to a sewage cleaner. These were people I had no connection with,  yet I bonded with them, while the main character who had aspirations of doing service to society and was a well read individual was  the one I should have connected with.

This made me realize that  the reason I connected with most of the supporting characters was because I  felt sorry for their  plight. I connected with them emotionally, while the main character  left me cold. When we  feel sorry for  some characters, we kind of forge a connection: albeit a bond of sympathy.
  
Does this happen with you all? Do you end up connecting with characters because your heart bleeds for them? Does sympathy play a huge role in making  you like few characters and dislike few others. Do the underdogs get your attention? Please share your views.  
          
               
          

21 comments:

  1. This is so true. Sympathy goes a very long way. Relating to a character adds a lot to connection. If a character has a thought or action that I can see my friends or myself doing, I think I subconsciously want to learn more. Characters who evolve in tough situations are also inspiring and they make us believe that we are not alone! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like a good underdog. Makes the story more fun and who doesn't like to root for the Davids and see them slay a Goliath. I think we all have been that guy or girl who needs to overcome great obstacles so we can relate to the underdog and love to see them win in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes. Even in my own story.

    I have to fight not to hate my one MC because of something that he will do to another character that I just want to nurture and see grow...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, sympathy and likablility. I think I like a good dose of humor in characters as well. It humanizes them and endears them to me. What a great question Rachna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I connect with characters that I can understand, who feel the things that I might feel if I were in that situation. Or, even if I wouldn't feel what they feel, I understand why they feel that way. That's when I connect to a character.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I tend to look at it as empathy rather than sympathy. I think we can empathise with protagonists and antagonists. As Jai Joshi says it's understanding why they feel that way. Perhaps, if you can't connect with the character it may be a fault of the writing.

    Great question BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the underdog who wins in the end, and my heart breaks while they struggle through a book. I even love to hate some characters, because I know they'll "reform" by the end of the book. That character arc fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does happen with me, whether reading or writing. I do feel like I have to connect somehow though, with characters I write, to be able to get them down in a realistic way. Even if I don't like them and it's just having a better understanding of where they are coming from. Good food for thought, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's hard for young people to empathize with old people, unless the old person's youthful self comes through. I think that's why YA sells well, even to adults. Everybody was a teen once, so we can all relate.

    But it's not just age. For a character to invite empathy, I think she/he has to be vulnerable. But not to the point of being pitiable. Perfection is boring, but we also don't enjoy spending time with helpless victims.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to become immersed in the character's plight. How did she end up in her situation? What does she want?

    I have to FEEL her sorrow, fear, dread, not just be told that a bad thing happened. I want the obstacles to be big and the stakes high. A happy ending is so much more satisfying if the price paid to get there is high.

    But, that said, I admire anyone who has completed a manuscript. There are many amazing authors out there who really blow me away!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I have to connect and usually because I sympathize with their plight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Supporting characters are always so much more interesting! But I try to connect with all my characters otherwise I can't write them right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Underdogs are cool, so long as they don't feel too sorry for themselves... that's a turn off. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love a good underdog too. Sympathy plays an important part of making me feel for a characters. When they're selfish or make poor decisions, one after another, eh. I lose my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I definitely connect with characters that I can sympathize with, especially that ones that keep fighting and never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes! I mean I can't love a character if they don't have spunk and bad things going on. Plus humor. I LOVE FUNNY! I need to root for the characters or I don't want to read the book. I hope that's how people see my books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read a variety of fiction, but the books that stay with me are the ones in which I connect with the character in some personal way. I see myself in her struggles, disappointments, insecurities. And then when she rises above the problems and wins out in some way, especially in personal growth, then I can say I love the character. So, yes, for me it's all about connecting at some level...

    BTW, I added "The Helping Hands" award to my sidebar. Thanks again for it :-) There are many bloggers out there who have extended a helping hand to me, too, so I hope to pass it along to others soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rachna, I totally agree with this. Connecting with characters totally makes the difference between a book I can appreciate and one I can’t.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good question. Let me see...

    I connect with characters who are not afraid to show their vulnerability. Those who make me laugh, cry...And I connect with characters who are cool and progressive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i connect with characters i would connect with as real people. it takes kind of a familiarity with a personality or shared emotions with a character to make them come alive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I believe every good story is about emotional connection, and I would argue that character - not plot - is what drives a story (for me, at least). I read a few novels in 2010, where I absolutely hated the main characters. I just couldn't relate to them. Not because they were 'tough' and 'cynical' (because I HAVE identified with characters of that ilk before) ... but because they, themselves, were void of emotion. So, yes, I think that when a character emits some type of emotion, it's easier for the readers to relate, put themselves in the character's shoes, and 'experience' and 'feel' the drama of the story. Sadly, in the two stories I mentioned, the supporting characters did nothing to make the books any better. I finished them simply because I paid a lot of money for the hardcover books :-( and because I'd already invested so much time in them. Loved your post on Birgitte, by the way. She and I met at a writing conference a few years back :-). Thx for comments on my blog, Rachna.

    ReplyDelete