Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tips to Craft the Sub – Plots

Sub- plots are a vital part of any story. As we all know, a  sub- plot is a secondary plot that is a supporting side story for any story or the main plot. When one or two sub- plots  are added to a story,  the  story  becomes  powerful and the conflict is enhanced.  The story then  gets its required amount of tension and its grip on the readers becomes firm.

Here are few points I have learnt while  working  and researching on sub-plots.

             1. A sub-plot involves  lesser important characters or what we call secondary or supporting characters. The significance of the events in a sub-plot are also of less importance when compared to the main plot.

             2. A sub-plot  should  connect  or be related to the main plot in some way: the characters involved in the sub-plot may have a vested interest  to sabotage either the protagonist or the antagonist’s agendas.

             3. A sub-plot can run parallel to the main plot  without intersecting or affecting it at all. But these sub-plots have to be powerful by themselves and should involve characters who are important enough by themselves. The actions of these characters should affect the story in some way.

             4. A sub-plot can intersect the main plot at regular intervals when the characters involved in the sub plot feel that their interests are being affected by either the protagonist or the antagonist’s actions. These characters can have hidden agendas of their own, which though the protagonist and the antagonist are not aware of, yet it affects them in some way. It requires a lot of planning to create sub-plots  that constantly cut into the main plot.   

            5.  Sub- plots take up less action and the conflict from the subplot is milder when compared to the conflict in the main plot. The conflict in the sub-plot has to be interesting and has to affect the story in some way: directly or indirectly.

            6.  Many experts advise that  good stories should have two subplots intersecting  the main plot at regular intervals. When these subplots cut into the main plot, then the conflict is intensified; this increases  readers' attention and keeps them glued to the pages of the book.

 I feel I am a sub-plot novice.  I am completely clueless where sub-plots are concerned. I have been looking a lot for resources and tips to help me with sub-plots. While outlining I try to plan the details of atleast two sub-plots. What about you all? Do you all pay a lot of attention to sub-plots? How do you plot and plan  the sub-plots which are extremely important. We all would love to  learn and get these details from you.

21 comments:

  1. Great post and thank you for the sub-plot advice.

    I can't say I consciously plan sub-plots but I am trying to ensure there is at least one of them in both my WIPs. After reading this post, I'm going to add them to my plan!

    200 Followers Q & A Competition

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I always have a a sub-plot if not two going on at the same time as the main story. It makes it that much more interesting espcially is some way they are related and can connect like you suggested. BUt beyond that,I'm clueless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good info. I consider myself a subplot novice too. Glad you shared this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, right now my sub-plot is written in such a way that they lead to the main plots of the later stories.

    But my story is a bit complicated with/without the use of sub plots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Rachna, I'm a "sub-plot novice" too. I've never seriously consciously examined how or why they work. I know they seem to arise in my plots and I just go with them. I really enjoyed all the aspects of them that you covered in this post, and right now I can think of two of my books I'm going to go through to see if I've applied the points you've listed. Thanks for such a helpful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've found sub-plots are difficult to consciously plan. My current WIP has 2 subplots but they developed because the characters demanded them. Fantastic post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same difficulty as you do, Rachna. I'm finding the only way to even attempt sub-plotting is to use some sort of visual diagrams - maybe I should try vectors?? They make sense at least.

    Even writing for mid-grade children requires sub-plots, the secret is not to make them so complex the main storyline is lost.

    thanks for an interesting post, Rachna! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I can only do one sub-plot well--the others are not so good. Great post, Rachna. I needed more education in sub-plots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was a really good post on Writer Unboxed this week "the three layers of layering," which, I think, address the subplot issue quite well. Check it out: http://writerunboxed.com/2011/01/30/3-layers-of-layering-in-fiction/. Thanks, also, for your comments on my blog. I'm so sorry you've never had a pet! They bring so much joy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! Where did you get this info?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very, very useful advice--especially the bit about the subplot connecting to the main plot, which I think is essential. So glad you charted this in such a clear and compelling manner. Thank you! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, Rachna! I put in subplots in my books without knowing much about them, and made many mistakes. I think the most important point is to have them affect the main plot even to some extent. I think that’s the most effective way of using subplots.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In a lot of ways I feel like a sub-plot novice myself. I try and have standout sub plots but they tend to intermesh with the main storyline so completely it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. I'm not sure if I'm right or wrong with this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, I am struggling with my sub plots a lot. They are pretty indirect to the main character's conflict and I think that may be a problem. These are all such great points and they are already helping me plan! Thanks so much for sharing, Rachna :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love using subplots and find they add another dimension to my stories. Another window. But mine become so interwoven into the main plot that it's hard to pick the main plot out from the subplots. I love to always have two subplots going. it makes the story so much more richer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been engrossed in a long-running British series called A Touch of Frost (Jack Frost is a detective). It's very witty and full of sub-plots that add density and interest. They really are crucial, I think, to a great story. I'm a novice with them, too, but your outline has piqued my interest in learning more about how to use them. Thanks!
    Ann Best, Author

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great list. I find that sub-plots form naturally when I'm plotting the book. I like reading through Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell when I'm plotting. He brings up great tangents to explore, which in turn creates sub-plots.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the helpful info! I realize that my subplots have been rather unintentional, but just seem to grow from the secondary characters. It's interesting to think about plotting the subplots.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent post! I don't really plan subplots, they just sort of happen. But it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a confession to make. I love creating subplots and characters for them. Probably too much. I've had to cut back on perspectives and such as I get carried away. But what happens is, I find myself getting stuck or disinterested in the main plot. So I find someone who dissects the main plot's/character's path and I go with the new guy until it's time to return to the main plot line. Sometimes this works for the overall story. Sometimes it was just a brain candy break and it gets cut. Still, it's good to let your mind explore stuff. Can you tell I'm a pantser?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really nice post, Rachna. I enjoy reading about writing so much more than actually writing!
    Good stuff to ponder!

    ReplyDelete